X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Executive file

Hello, im really a new to Kubuntu.
    I hope you can help me something.

+ On windows. the Executive File is File.exe, so , On Kubuntu, what is it? File.***.
    + i want to download some software, maybe kubuntu have or not, so , after I downloaded them, what File.*** can I click to Install, or How to install.
    + for Example, 3D Desktop. I know Kinbuntu have, I downloaded it but i cant know how to Install.
    + And much more another software.

+ One more thing, how about System requirement to 3D Desktop.
    Do you think EEEPC of Asus can be suitable to Kubuntu and 3D Desktop on Kunbuntu ?

Thank you so much for your help. :-)
    exe
    0%
    exe or not
    0%

Re: Executive file

Executables in Unix and Linux usually don't have a file extension.
    For example Firefox is located here: /usr/bin/firefox

When you download a .deb package, you can usually install it just by clicking on it.

If it's a zip or tar.gz, you will need to extract the file and read the installation instructions.

Don't know about the Eee PC, but I don't think it can run a 3D desktop.
    Kubuntu user?&nbsp; http://kubuntuway.net<br />Do you own reptiles? Click here http://redtailconnect.net

Comment

One of the major differences between windows and kubuntu is in installing applications. In windows you use .exe files. In kubuntu however this is not necessary. Instead there is adept package manager, select the application you want from the list and set it to install. The application will then be downloaded and installed directly from the internet. The system is a little confusing at first but once you get used to it the system is much better (at least I think so). One way to think of it is a one-stop shop for (almost) all kubuntu software where everything is free, just select it and install.

As for a EEE, I reckon you will be fine running kubuntu but probably not with the 3D desktop as it has no real graphics card.

Comment

Thank for all your help.

No executive File! It is really a different to me. But a small change like this, I think it makes me a nice suprise and attraction. :-)

OK! So if I downloaded a new program I like, Can I click directly to it to instal?
        Or I must to use other like "Adept package manager"; If it is force, how I can add this downloaded program to "Adept package manager", or how i can use "Adept package manager" to open this File?

Thank for your idea about 3D-Desktop on Kubuntu in EEE pC. It is a little bit sad to me. But I think that is really true, too .

More thing, What your idea about advantage and dis advantage between Konqueror vs Firefox, They make me confused, I have habit to use FF, but now with Konqueror, im not sure I should use what? And If I choice one, I will feel hard difficult to change other once again.

Thank for all your reply.

Comment

Linux doesn't care about file extensions

Linux File Types
          In Windows, many people are used to the fact that a filetype can be deciphered by its extension. Linux, on the other hand, doesn't really care about file extensions.

Linux actually looks at the file mime type and sees what type of file it *really* is, and handles it accordingly...

But graphical desktops (KDE,Gnome) care (sort of )

FAQ: Control Centre vs. System Settings
          File Associations

Control Centre > KDE Components > File Associations

This module allows you to choose which applications are associated with a given type of file.

Installing

How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu! (and Kubuntu)
          Having problems installing something on your new Ubuntu operating system? "Where's the EXE?", "Where do I need to extract this to?", "How do I run it?", "Where did it go?" - have you been thinking questions like these? Don't worry, installing software, themes and other things on Ubuntu is actually very easy! This guide will help you understand with screenshots, instructional videos and to-the-point language.
          Repositories/Kubuntu
          What are Repositories?

There are thousands of programs available to install on Kubuntu. These programs are stored in software archives (repositories) and are available for installation over the Internet. This makes it very easy to install new programs. It is also very secure, because each program you install is thoroughly tested and built specifically for Kubuntu.
          FAQ: Package Managers
          The mother of all package management in the Debian - dpkg

K/X/Ubuntu is a Debian derived Linux-based operating system. You can use all these package managers: ...
          More: How do I install a program ?

EeePc and Kubuntu
          Jukka Aho eeeuser.com
          I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Beta on an EeePC 701 4G – overwriting the default Xandros installation.

My newly-installed Kubuntu system appears to work fine and did not require too much of tinkering to get into useful state. I now seem to have most things working nicely enough I can keep using the system “for real”...

Compiz@EeePC

YouTube search
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

The executables for the user are (mostly) located in /usr/bin

There is also /bin which has various low level user commands

there is also /sbin (system functions mainly for bootup) and /usr/sbin for system administrator commands. I urge you not to muck about with them if you are unsure what you are doing.

As you are new to Linux, I urge you to go read up on the File System hierarchy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesys...archy_Standard

Will help when looking for stuff like logfiles etc.

When you look at a repository using adept or synaptic, you will see its split into sections, so you can look for the app you want. They will also have descriptions to help you decide.

Comment

To install things by far the easiest method is adept. There are other perfectly valid ways (using .debs and compiling from source) but they are just more work and so not worth bothering with except in cases where you can't find the package in adept. So try adept first.

On Konqueror v Firefox, the major difference that causes most people to use firefox is all of the plugins that are available. Konqueror surfs the net just fine and I use it for that occasionally, but the plugins definitely give firefox an edge and so I use it for those.

Comment

Working...
              X