This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video installation errors

I have been meaning for a year now to install linux.
    A friend got me the dvd of ubuntu 8.04(?).
    Well, I have windows xp installed on the larger of my two hdds. So, I thought that I could pop in the dvd and boot off of it and install ubuntu onto my smaller hdd (Western Digital 74gb Raptor). Well, I had some problems even trying to do the option where I can view what linux is without actually installing. The problem I got was: "Video mode not supported." I was told by my friend to go dl the latest drivers for my nVidia 6800. So, I did but to no avail. Well, I also kubuntu 7.10, but I got the same error when I tried that.

Any advice on what to do and where to go from here?

Re: video installation errors

When you boot from the LiveCD do you get to the initial menu?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: video installation errors

Also, if you do get the initial menu and you get the error message after it seems to boot all the way, if you press "ctrl alt -" (that's the minus key on the number pad), it will let you cycle through what it detected as usable video modes. One of them would have to be usable. Again, this is assuming that you did get the initial menu and you choose to boot through to that message.

Comment

Working...
      X