X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

video problems

hi guys I'm new too Kubuntu i been a windows user for forever.. anyway
    i recently got a new video card (Visiontek X1300) to replace the outdated 3dfx Voodoo2 i had installed. i had Kubuntu 7.10 installed and running great for about 2 months with the old card.. i installed the new card and downloaded the proprietary drivers from the ATI site and installed them.. then i got a notification that restricted drivers were needed to use the new X1300 card..

i installed them and reboot then something happend and i don't know what it is.. kubuntu doesn't boot to the GUI user login screen.. i wrote down the message it gives me, hopefully some one can tell me what it means.. cause i have over the past 2 days reinstalled 7.10 about 7 times because it does this every time i try to get this card to work..

heres the message it gives me

Kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/d00f3a61-ca2b-4571-a2d0-d4f-7eba1f77) = s da5(8,5)
    Kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/d00f3a61-ca2b-4571-a2d0-d4f07eba1f77
    Kinit: no resume image,doing normal boot...
    ubuntu 7.10 bedroom3 tty1

bedroom3 login:

then it just gives me the comand prompt with my comp name

am i installing something wrong?

*edit*
    after reading on this forum a bit i saw something about "startX" so i tryed it and this is what it gave me

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
    (==) useing config file: "/etc/X11/Xorg.conf"
    (ww) fglrx: no matching section for instance (Bus ID PCI:2:0:0) found
    (ww) fglrx: no matching section for instance (Bus ID PCI:2:0:1) found
    (EE) no devices detected

fatal server error
    no screens found
    XIO fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer ) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed ) with 0 events remaining

what does all that mean? im linux stupid and dont really understand comand prompt

Re: video problems

anyone ? i know someone has to know something..

Comment

Working...
    X