This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finding duplicate files

I manage to collect quite a few files in the course of a week, most of them images. After a while, I run them all through KRename, usually along the lines of yyyy-mm-ww-xxxx, where yyyy == year, mm == month, ww == week and xxxx == number, i.e. 2008-04-01-0153.jpg, then move them into a folder named yyyy-mm-ww. Keeps things tidy (enough) for my purposes.

Problem is, I get a lot of duplicates. When I was using a Mac, I used File Buddy to find the dupes and move them into a separate folder so I could visually sort and remove the dupes. The closest I've come on Kubuntu is KleanSweep. If I tell it to save a backup archive, it'll go ahead and make a tar.gz of all the dupes, then delete the originals. I can then open the archive and visually sort & delete dupes, then move the survivors back into their original folder. It works, but it's just a bit cumbersome.

What I'd like to do is pipe the output of fdupes into mv and move all dupes into a specific folder for visual inspection. How would I go about that? I'm thinking that it's going to have to be a script, but my scripting is nowhere near as good as I'd like it to be. I imaging the pseudocode would look somewhat like this:

Code:
    while not eof
    set x to path/name of current dupe file
    move x to predesignated sort folder
    In other words, start at the first line of fdupes output, set that to var x, then mv x to sort folder. Continue as long as you aren't at end of file.

Now, how would this really work?
    K/X/Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505n<br />2 GB RAM, 100 GB SATA HD

Re: finding duplicate files

FSlint - Duplicate file finder
    FSlint is a utility to find and clean various forms of lint on a filesystem.
    For example, one form of lint it finds is duplicate files.
    It has both GUI and command line modes.
    Available from their site linked above or from within the repositories (Adept Manager).
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've installed FSLint and tried it, but doesn't seem to do what I want. Of course, the documentation is scanty, at best.
      K/X/Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell Inspiron E1505n<br />2 GB RAM, 100 GB SATA HD

Comment

Agreed. Installed it myself and gave it a spin. Un-installed it right away. :P

Comment

Another possibility: Swiss File Knife for Windoze and Linux.

Comment

Check your list of ideas against the tips here, see if there's any new ideas:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/After_Using_PhotoRec

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

GQView will do it for images, works quite nicely for me.
              Just hit D.

Another one is Gwenview, it's in the plugins.

Comment

Deleted.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 15, 2016, 06:41 AM. Reason: POST CONTENT DELETED BY ADMINISTRATOR. REGISTERED SPAMBOT.

Comment

BTW, you do realise you replied to a 2008 post? Not that we'd complain about that here, I imagine, but if doing so it can be an idea to acknowledge it.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Now we're at it, GQViewer has a new name and still does the job well: Geeqie.
                    Duplicate Files Deleter, I assume you run this Windows program through wine?
                    Last edited by Teunis; Jan 15, 2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      BTW, you do realise you replied to a 2008 post? Not that we'd complain about that here, I imagine, but if doing so it can be an idea to acknowledge it.
                      rewanya is an ad-bot, just puffing the software in question.

If you search for the post content, you'll find the exact same comment on a number of sites.

Comment

Working...
                      X