X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Kubuntu to XP: Missing Hard-Drives

Hey!!

I'm new here, and I'm desperate to find answers to my questions... I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop, which OS became Kubuntu after a while of having it. But know I have to sell my computer and I used it's recovery partition to get Windows back on track.

Anyway, I made the so called "Destructive Recovery" the alternate partition does and took Windows back (format C: and stick Windows back). But my 80GB hard-drive suddenly turned into a 9.8GB one that barely fits the software it came with (and I have only 600MB free after this).

My guess is that the alternative partitions I did for installing Kubuntu (Swap and Home I guess) are not seen anymore because of their type of format. So, more than 1/4 of my disc is lost and I'm going crazy.

Can someone help me, please?

Re: From Kubuntu to XP: Missing Hard-Drives

i think there is still some partition that use some HD space. I should try to use some partitioning tool ( partition magic ? ) and check if there is still some linux partition, delete it and then resize the windows partition. You can also use (k)ubuntu live cd's and use qparted.

Comment

ghillan: "You can also use (k)ubuntu live cd's and use qparted."

I agree. Download and burn the GParted Live CD (as an iso) and use it to see what's there. (No offense, but XP's utilities may not see or make sense of the mess--GParted will see everything accurately.) None of my business, but if you are selling this, imho, you should wipe the entire drive clean: zero-fill that drive using a low-level hard drive utility.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        ghillan: "You can also use (k)ubuntu live cd's and use qparted."

I agree. Download and burn the GParted Live CD (as an iso) and use it to see what's there. (No offense, but XP's utilities may not see or make sense of the mess--GParted will see everything accurately.) None of my business, but if you are selling this, imho, you should wipe the entire drive clean: zero-fill that drive using a low-level hard drive utility.
        Yeah, I know... XP sucks big time in every sense (that's why I had Kubuntu before), but in order to sell it I need to put XP back, which pains me because of this mess of partitions and stuff.

The drive is clean... it only has the sound drivers and basics to make the computer work (no second-party software, I had to get rid of it or else this thing won't even load with such low hard-drive capacity).

I'm gonna boot the live-cd of Kubuntu right now and see what's up (I just came back from my job, so, I have little time)... if I have more troubles, I'll come back to you, guys.

Comment

Working...
        X