X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help - NVidia GeForce 6600

Hi Everyone! 8)

I have installed Linux and been using it for a week now. Want to know how to install my graphics driver.

My hardware: Intel D915GEV motherboard, Gainward Graphics Card (NVidia Geforce 6600 GPU) 128M PCI Express, 512MB RAM, Intel Celeron 2.8GHz, Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD... and no internet connection from this computer yet.

I tried Ubuntu Gutsy(Gnome) first, installing from the live CD. Couldn't enable the Advanced graphics, because of NVidia-glx-new driver. Installed NVidia-glx, after reading a few discussion topics, that I downloaded from the work's computer. Thereafter I could enable the advanced graphics, but things didn't display quite right (the window title bars disappeared).

Tried NVidia's own linux driver, but couldn't get it working.

Then I installed Kubuntu (KDE) from a live CD, also Gutsy. After 5 tries, the OS finally installed.

Now, I don't know how to access the graphics display properties; it only says that I have "NV" driver installed. When I put higher settings on my display (windows, rendering, cool effects etc), it runs rather slow. I'm sure my computer should be able to handle at least these little nice-to-haves?

I am determined to become an experienced Linux user and help advance the world of open source, but I have to admit that I need some help getting started.

Can someone help? I've gone through the discussions but none of them seem to apply to my specific problem. I'm thinking that using the alternate CD for Kubuntu might deliver better results, but before I do the 700MB download and 2hr install, I'd like to ask for advice first.

PS what hampers me a bit is that I can't access the internet from my Linux PC. I always use my SonyEricsson W850i 3G phone modem to do this, but don't know where to download and set up SonyEricsson drivers for Linux...
    "I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton

Re: Please help - NVidia GeForce 6600

You can use Envy to set up your "3d" nvidia drivers.

http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

But you cant do this as you use your phone as a modem.
    Thats going to be a problem, i don't know if thats possible to do. Maybe someone else knows something about it.

BTW Welcome to Kubuntu forums.

Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Thanks!

I'll check out what envy is all about.
      "I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton

Comment

The good news is, you can download the Envy file, which is a .deb file, from anywhere and copy it onto your Linux PC desktop. Then you can simply right-click it and choose "Open With > Gdebi installer", HOWEVER ...

The bad news is, to actually install it, Envy will expect to pull in "dependencies" via an Internet connection, and the worse news is, to use Envy to install the Nvidia or ATI driver, it also expects to download the appropriate/current driver version via an Internet connection.

So ......... :P

Comment

I downloaded the alternative installs for both Ubuntu & Kubuntu. Maybe I should just install them; I read in one topic that when you install it this way the X...Something (GUI engine of Linux) hasn't loaded yet. Hopefully this might give me an overall better install. I'll also play around with the drivers I downloaded; and read the tutorials I got

So...guess what I'm doing this weekend... :P

Comment

Originally posted by goofTroop

Maybe I should just install them; I read in one topic that when you install it this way the X...Something (GUI engine of Linux) hasn't loaded yet. Hopefully this might give me an overall better install.
            Ummm, I'm not sure my prior post was comprehended (or perhaps I don't fully understand your weekend plans). Let me try again, just to be clear:

No Internet connection --> no installation.

Comment

Working...
            X