Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

link files (output of "ln" command) - how to locate them all???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

link files (output of "ln" command) - how to locate them all???

How can I locate all of these files - say all that are in my Home directory? I've tried to find the answer to this question myself, and so far I'm not turning up anything at all useful.

Thanks for any help!

Re: link files (output of "ln" command) - how to locate them all

Code:
    sudo ls -RFl | grep @
    Executed from within a working directory lists all symbolic links 'recursively' from within that directory.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you very much. I'm off to study this command, then give it whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Code:
        sudo ls -RFl | grep @
        Executed from within a working directory lists all symbolic links 'recursively' from within that directory.
        OK - study completed, such as it was. Just one question left -

"man" page for the "ls" command says that the "-F" option requests that output have appended to it and "indicator (one of */=>@|)..."

I cannot find what those symbols indicate - the man page says nothing about them. Can you suggest where I'd find that information?

Comment

A problem - the output of the command you suggested is not what I was after. I don't know WHAT it was showing me, but it wasn't anything I could use. What I'm wanting is a list of the files which are output by commands of this sort -

ln -s "/home/tom/__Library/Kitchur model.odt" "Kitchur"

This produces a file named "Kitcher" which when clicked takes me to the path indicated in the command. I have a number of these set up in my Desktop, for quick access to handy files and directories. Others clearly have been created by program installers, and then used in the K-menu entries to launch the installed program. I want a list of all such file/shortcuts/links.

Is that possible?

Comment

You can do:
            Code:
            sudo find / -type l
            to find symbolic links, or
            Code:
            find ~ -type l
            to find symbolic links in your home folder

If you'd like a more thorough output, append '-ls' to the command:
            Code:
            find ~ -type l -ls

Comment

kubicle - Thank you for providing the 'right' command.
              tomcloyd - Sorry, I retried my command, and you are right - it doesn't provide what "I thought" it would. My bad. :P
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, Kubicle - tks to you both for your help on this. I'm now the proud owner of a 1.7MB file containing verbose listings of 12,715 symbolic links. The output is exactly what I was looking for, but I expected maybe 100 links. I now have a much better idea of what these things are used for, but...it IS a bit overwhelming. "Be careful what you wish for..."

Comment

Working...
                X