X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem setting any program to be default

I've searched high and low to no avail.

I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy and I'd like vlc to be my default video player. So, I tried the following:
    • right click a video file
    • select "Properties"
    • click the wrench icon next to "Type"
    • highlight vlc
    • click "Move up"
    • click "Apply"

and it looks like the change is being made. But it never sticks. The original default remains. This applies to any file type and any program.

It seems like a permissions issue, but I don't know where to look. Any suggestions?

**UPDATE: I changed my original topic from "Problem setting vlc to be default" to "Problem setting any program to be default" since this applies to more than just vlc.**

Re: Problem setting vlc to be default

Maybe this can help:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091157.0

Comment

Re: Problem setting vlc to be default

Thank you for the suggestion.

I followed the instructions at the post above and ran 'kcontrol' and went to 'File Associations'. But I had the same problem as when I used the right-click context menu. I can change the order and move vlc to the top of the preference list. And when I click "Apply" it changes the order. But as soon as I shut down the Control Center the change I just made reverts back.

I also visited this:
      Topic: Make VLC the Default Media Player
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089257.0
      But this suggestion doesn't address my root issue. I am not able to change the Application Preference for any file type or program. Whatever change i make is immediately change d back. Or maybe never changed in the first place.

Any further help is much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X