This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problen with thunderbird

My thunderbird was working fine until I copied a backup "local folders" directory into the profile, unfortunately without keeping a backup, and now I get no mail. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still no mail. I think I will have to totally remove all directories attached to thunderbird and start over, but I am not sure this is correct, and whether something will break if I do it. Could anyone help?

Re: Problen with thunderbird

You probably need to delete parts of or the whole ~/.thunderbird directory.
    Once you restart Thunderbird it should recreate the missing bits.

Comment

In your mozilla-thunderbird profile folder, your address book is in either or both of two files:
      history.mab
      abook.mab

Grab those and save them somewhere safe (e.g., a flash drive, or whatever).
      Your profile folder is in:
      Konqueror
      Home
      your name
      View > Show hidden files
      .mozilla-thunderbird
      XXXXXXXX.default
      (a folder, where XXXXXXXX is a string of 8 random characters)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have backups of everything I need. I am just trying to get an install of TB which works again, possibly by deleting everything (I have already reinstalled and it didn't work). I am just a bit nervous about doing that.

Comment

I uninstalled TB, deleted .mozilla-thunderbird directory, reinstalled TB. It loaded properly when I clicked on it. I then copied .mail directory from backup into new profile. It loaded but no mail showing and no mail directories. I just copied prefs.js over from backup. Now a problem. Old folders show up but TB never completes loading-the little rotating loading indicator goes on forever. Could someone tell me what to do?

Comment

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
            http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_..._a_new_profile
            http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Backup

As I recall, mozilla has certain ways of moving these profile files around; some drag and drop, some do not.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Many thanks to all. I decided to delete .mozilla-thunderbird, reinstall, and not use any backups but configure fresh. It seems to have worked.

Comment

Working...
              X