This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cause Linux hang

I know that everybody said Linux seldom freeze or hang. But my Kubuntu Gutsy sometimes hang suddenly. I am suspecting the Opera Browser. Only suspect, I don't have proof that this program cause my computer freeze.

When it is hang, I can use Ctrl+Alt+Esc to kill the program. And usually after killing Opera the computer back to normal. But I don't really believe the Opera is the culprit. (The very last time it occurred, I can't use this way, so I use the last method -> Magic Sysrq)

So do anyone know, usually what or why the Linux may hang? Maybe someone can give the link of reference?

Thanks before.
    P4 3.06 HT,RAM 512 MB, 80GB HD, Geforce 6200 LE, Kubuntu 8.04

Re: What cause Linux hang

I've never used Opera but hear very good reports about it.

But when one of the other browsers has problems it's generally because of plug-ins like Flash or Java.

You could of course try to run a different browser and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by garry_3peace
      I know that everybody said Linux seldom freeze or hang. But my Kubuntu Gutsy sometimes hang suddenly. I am suspecting the Opera Browser. Only suspect, I don't have proof that this program cause my computer freeze.

When it is hang, I can use Ctrl+Alt+Esc to kill the program. And usually after killing Opera the computer back to normal. But I don't really believe the Opera is the culprit. (The very last time it occurred, I can't use this way, so I use the last method -> Magic Sysrq)

So do anyone know, usually what or why the Linux may hang? Maybe someone can give the link of reference?

Thanks before.
      If you want to observe what is using all your resources at the moment when it "hangs", first open the Konsole and run
      Code:
      then run Opera or whatever browser you use, and watch the list in "top".

Comment

Okay, I'll try to look that.

But anyway, usually(in general) what cause the Linux hang? Could it be virus? spyware or something else like that?? I just want to know every possibility what cause the Linux hang....

Comment

Unlikely that it's malware.
          In case you are running a server, especially with php scripts, you might want to check for a rootkit.
          Running an Anti Virus tool is fairly pointless as they usually only detect Microsoft viruses.

The tip to run 'top' is good, personally I prefer ksysguard as it gives better sorting options and it can be started with the key combination Ctrl+Esc

An other neat Top clone is 'htop', it is in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by garry_3peace

But anyway, usually(in general) what cause the Linux hang?
            Actually, your Linux OS will almost never hang. What you see when everything "freezes" is usually some problem with an application or the X server. If you set up a monitor like gkrellm, you will see that the system is still running, but something takes the CPU or a hard drive or the ethernet connection up to 100%, so nothing else can happen for some time.

Also, if it is all frozen so bad that you can't use the keyboard to open a Konsole and kill the bad process, you can always restart the system with Alt-SysRq RSEIUB.

Comment

Um..

Btw, I think it is not Opera. Yesterday I use Firefox, and the problem occurs (hang/freeze again). Then it could be Amarok. When I watch 'top' amarokapp is always at the top (I sort by memory usage). Could because I put more than 4000 songs to the play list cause it unstable??

The second could be BOINC. BOINC is consume a lot of resources too... I must goggling to find out....

Comment

Memory usage should not be a reason for hanging of an application or even the whole desktop.
                There can be sluggishness when a lot of swapping is required, this can very effectively be checked and controlled by this command:
                Code:
                $ sudo sysctl -w vm.swappiness=1
                As Flash is on some systems a bit of a dog you might want to try running a while after uninstalling it or using the Flashblock plug in in your browser.

The same is true for Java, by having the No-Script plug in installed you can control Java.

Comment

Working...
                X