This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone(not working)&Kmix issue

Today I tried out Skype only to find out (via test call) that I am not heard, yet I can hear the other party. I checked Kmix, but when I went to the skype troubleshooting site I found out that my Kmix doesn't look like the one on their page. To make myself clear, here are the screenshots:

Kmix on Skype page:

This is my input tab:

And my output tab:

What worries me is that I don't have the green lights (associated with playback) on top under the microphone icon on the input tab as the one from the skype-site does. Does that mean that my built-in microphone is not recognized? Otherwise the sound is working, it worked out of the box.
    Any pointers as to what and where i have to check would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Anna

P.s.: Kubuntu 7.10, KDE 3.5.8 (running on a HP 6710b laptop)
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: Microphone(not working)&amp;Kmix issue

I usually find relief from sound problems by running the Alsamixergui.
    You find it in the repositories.

Comment

I tried Skype using a conventional headset and my onboard sound system, which works great. No luck -- I got the same result as you got.

I went to Radio Shack and spent $40 USD on a "Skype-Certified" USB headset. When I got home with it, it took exactly 3 minutes to have Skype working perfectly. That's what Skype wants -- a USB headset.

Comment

Thank you dibl,

I was thinking about doing the same thing - I guess I shouldn't complain, after all it's not that much of an expense. I'll still try Alsamixer first, though
        I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Linuxgirl,

You aren't going to lose either by pushing ALL the sliders to the top, in both input and output and then bringing each one down in turn, to see which slider may be the appropriate ones, esp. (You may also have to reset to get 'normal' sound without distortion or buzz.) My guesses?
          capture, digital mic, internal boost.(to keep from screaming)..and if you have another input screen or menu try out the difference between regular 'mic' and 'front' mic.

God Bless
          Doug

PS I've noticed that Skype also has non-usb headphone/mic combos (with regular jacks), and so, anything you already own may do the trick!
          Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Working...
          X