How to ask questions the smart way

Just a little guide I found
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: Before you ask...

Beautiful!

Thanks, Linuxgirl!

Comment

I only just scanned the TOC, and it looks apropos.

When you (i.e., we) post in the forum, think “Advertising.”

Good advertising has a relevant, to-the-point, brief, descriptive headline, followed by a subhead and brief copy; finally, down below somewhere—out of the way—there's some fine print for hard-core readers who really want to read more details. Eighty percent of ad-copy readers only read the headline => you gotta do your best job to grab the reader at that level (and then, in our forum here, in the immediate subhead/introductory text). (However, the 20% of readers who do read the fine print are very serious, good prospects, and so IF you are going to write fine print, you must write very good support copy for them.)

In plain English:

Write a relevant, accurate, descriptive topic title. As brief and yet informative as possible.
      Summarize your relevant facts/details and problem as quickly as possible.
      Then, if relevant or appropriate, put fine print down below somewhere for technical support/add-on.

Bad topic:
      Oh! Gosh. Not Again! I'm tired of this graphic!
      Better:
      My Desktop icons are too small.
      or
      Need larger Desktop icons!

Bad topic:
      The update has ruined my life!!!!!
      Better:
      After update, I can't access my email.
      Or,more specific:
      After update, I can't access Thunderbird email.
      or
      After update, I can't empty the Trash.

When you post a topic, your job is to sell yourself/your problem to potential helpers; do your best to grab the attention of capable people who might be able to help you solve the problem.

And when posting the description of your problem, get to the point quickly.
      We don't need your family history, your opinion of Kubuntu, your bad history with XP, your regret that you purchased a monitor that is too small. We just need to know what your problem is so we can assess if/how we can help you solve it right now (asap!).

If you can't resist personal details--and the personal factor here in the forum IS interesting and important--place it afterwards, down below somewhere, after stating your Linux/PC problem; and/or, state it in a sentence or two, not a lengthy, rambling paragraph.

But let's not get too serious here ...
      This is, after all, supposed to be fun. Not a course in contractual law.
      So a sense of humor is always welcome.
      (In contrast, if you are an OEM XP user, have you ever gone to the support site to see how you are greeted? The option used to be a blanked-out page and a notice that you qualify for $35/hour help or KB--has that changed?)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Awww, Man! I just wanted to talk about what happened to me the other day! Dang!

I couldn't help it. I just had to respond that way.

I do agree though.

Comment

Well, I didn't say I followed my own advice. My Reply (above) is meant to be a theoretical guide to posting Of course, a head-guy (that would be shrink, not the drug dealer of the hippie days) would say that the personal details are the most important—they tell you * why * the problem occurred and how hard it will be to fix it!

BTW, Linuxgirl, your point really is noted and well taken. It's just that some of us older guys have an attention span problem ...

(How's that, MoonRise ... better? )
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Comment

I post on Fark so I'm getting a real kick out of these replies.
              Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

It is so true that a good, short and descriptive header is important!
                I usually start reading with the interesting messages and it doesn't get any more boring than a header that says Help me! or Crashed again

Comment

Originally posted by kortsen
                  I post on Fark so I'm getting a real kick out of these replies.
                  Never heard of that. Took a look. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X