X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no sound on breezy, lspci shows chip but not in kinfocenter

hiya all,
    just installed 5.1.0 breezy and I get the standard "Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device." message.
    lspci shows

0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5455 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 20)

kinformation center shows

card-config :
    ***no soundcards***

any ideas of where to start?

Re: no sound on breezy, lspci shows chip but not in kinfocenter

I know this sounds weird, but some people have been reporting that THEY DON'T HAVE A /dev/dsp FILE! I don't know what to suggest if that's the case, but at least three people without sound have reported that, so try "ls -l /dev/dsp". Sorry to say, I think you might be a fourth.

Otherwise, the usual things. Make sure you're a member of the audio group by searching /etc/group. Make sure you've got he sound modules with "lsmod|grep snd". Make sure you've got the drivers by searching installed packages for "sound".

Comment

Forgive for dipping my oar in here, but things may not be so weird, This post attracted my curiousity. My sound system works fine, but I checked my /dev/dsp file just for fun. It exists, but there is absolutely nothing in it - o bytes. Maybe this file is no longer used in latest versions?
      Sorry for butting in but perhaps this is relevant.

Comment

/dev/dsp is a pseudo file that allows the system to output bytes to the sound system as if it was writing to a file. It never has anything in it, even when sound is playing.

Comment

yes, definitely no /dev/dsp file in my install. i have tried MAKEDEV to make one with no luck. also to update i have done a few more things........

tried installing ubuntu 5.10 breezy (not kubuntu) , still no /dev/dsp or sound.
          i installed ubuntu 5.04 hoary and sound works just fine directly after install, then i updated the hoary to breezy and the sound goes, the dsp file dissapeared, no more sounds.........hmmmm

well, i would just stick it out with hoary but i need blackdown java to run the vassal engine, and since blackdown java does not like hoary (i can get to run but synaptic says i have broken packages and will remove them if i add anything) and sun java doesnt seem to want to run vassal correctly........

what to do? someone out there has to have an idea.....i hope.

thanks for any help guys/gals!!

Comment

Working...
          X