This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is 'media:/' in konqueror?

When I type 'media:/' in konqueror I get a list of connected devices. If I connect my iPod it pops up in 'media:/' and if I click it it gets mounted in /media/IPOD

But what is 'media:/' ? If I type cd media:/ in a shell I just get:

bash: cd: media:/: No such file or directory

Re: what is 'media:/' in konqueror?

it really is /media where all (well, most) devices are (auto) mounted.

Just try a $ cd /media

(To get back to your home directory it's from anywhere $ cd ~)

Comment

It's a logical association to that mount point Teunis mentioned. Used only in the GUI.

Comment

They (my USB drive and iPod) first gets mounted when I double-click eg. media:/IPOD. In /media the mountpoint /media/IPOD then gets created.

I could be nice if there was some function that automatically mounted these drives so I don't need to double-click

media:/IPOD
        media:/MAXTOR

from konqueror each time.

Comment

The KDE User Guide => Chapter 8. Multimedia With KDE

The Storage Media location (also known as the media:/ protocol) will show all devices which are recognized by KDE, including the hard drive and CD and DVD drives, as well as USB and Firewire devices, provided that your distribution is set up correctly to tell KDE about them.
          There is also:
          Automount

With KDE 3.5 and newer, devices can be automounted, meaning one only has to insert the removable disk. KDE will then open an automount prompt asking the user “What do you want to do?” with the media. To configure the list of options prompted for devices open the KDE Control Center and navigate to Peripherals+Storage Media. Here you can add and remove programs from the list of devices.
          Maybe this also works with IPOd ?

FAQ: Control Centre vs. System Settings
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

But when I boot the devices are first automounted when I double-click.

media:/IPOD
            media:/MAXTOR

I am still looking for a way to do this "double-clicking" automatically.

I have made a script that does the following:

#!/bin/sh
            konqueror media:/sdb1 media:/sda2

but then I manually have to close konqueror which is rather annoying.

Comment

I have found a temporary solution. If I run gnome-volume-manager on startup the USB devices gets mounted automatically. Hopefully Kubuntu will soon reach the same quality as Ubuntu.

Comment

No worry bigblop, Kubuntu has the function of automount since a while.
                Just a pity your install seems to miss this function.

Maybe we can help you achieve it too, please post the content of your /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.

Comment

Currently the lines in /etc/fstab for my USB devices are commented since they are unnecessary when using gnome-volume-manager. Below is /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                  #
                  # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                  proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
                  # /dev/hda3
                  UUID=511c1857-79b8-4577-8b37-3d6a4ca4aaeb / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
                  # /dev/hda1
                  UUID=48A87E84A87E6FF4 /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
                  # /dev/hda5
                  UUID=33e5176f-27d6-c738-533a-0d727126e577 /media/hda5 ext3 nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
                  # /dev/hda6
                  UUID=8B3534AC938BF180 /media/hda6 ntfs defaults,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
                  # /dev/hda4
                  UUID=f414a4d8-93d3-428f-8c2b-95b1944763a4 none swap sw 0 0
                  /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
                  /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

# Maxtor disk
                  #/dev/sdb1 /media/MAXTOR vfat auto,users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0
                  # ipod
                  #/dev/sda2 /media/IPOD vfat auto,users,rw,exec,umask=000 0 0

If I remove the comments for the above 2 lines both drives gets mounted perfectly on startup into the mount points:

/media/MAXTOR
                  /media/IPOD

which I have created manually. But when I disconnect the maxtor disk when running Kubuntu and the reconnect it it gets mounted to the mount point:

/media/MAXTOR-1

This causes a problem when using rythmbox because now it searches for my music in /media/MAXTOR-1 instead of /media/MAXTOR which is now empty.

So basically automount works as long I don't disconnect/reconnect while using Kubuntu.

It seems that using /etc/fstab for automouting purposes is a good idea if you don't disconnect your drives while running linux. But when this happes another service in Kubuntu makes sure it gets mounted but without using the mountpoint specified in the /etc/fstab file.

As requested the below text if from my /etc/mtab file:

/dev/hda3 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                  proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
                  varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
                  udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
                  devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
                  devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
                  lrm /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl ksize=4096 0 0
                  /dev/hda5 /media/hda5 ext3 rw 0 0
                  /dev/hda6 /media/hda6 fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl ksize=4096 0 0
                  securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/sda2 /media/IPOD vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umas k=077,usefree 0 0
                  /dev/sdb1 /media/MAXTOR vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,umas k=077,usefree 0 0

Comment

Working...
                  X