This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C compiler error

So, I get this message when ever I try to install things to kubuntu using the command "./configure"
    checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.
    Basically I dont know what to do about it as the config log is confusing to me. Any help?

Re: C compiler error

0) Are you sure that you have to install whatever you're trying to get from the tarball? Have you activated the universe and multiverse repositories?
    1) Can you post the parts of config.log that say anything about warning or error?
    2) Do you have the package build-essentials installed?

Comment

0) Yep
      1)I can't find any except a record of the bit I already posted.
      2)There aren't any specific requirements. Plus it does this with everything that I try and install in this way.

Comment

Build-essentials is the (K)Ubuntu package that contains make. Without that you can't install anything from a tarball.

Comment

Thanks. Well i've got further but i have the error message
          checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!
          now. Where can i get X-Includes?

Comment

Try /usr/include/X11/...

Comment

And then what? I'm entirely new to this. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesuses Left Leg
                Where can i get X-Includes?
                You usually need to install a few development (dev) libraries to compile programs.
                If you're compiling for kde, it's easiest to install 'kdelibs4-dev' package, it will install the basic dev libraries you need (including the X11 and QT dev libraries).

Comment

I'm not sure that that's the only package you need, because I didn't have it until I read Kubicle's post, but I did have the X11 includes. I wish I could remember which package I added to get them, probably libx11-dev.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    I'm not sure that that's the only package you need
                    It's not the only thing you need, but it installs things you need as dependencies (including libqt3-mt-dev and libx11-dev)

Comment

Hmm, I was going to ask why I didn't get it when I downloaded Kdevelop. Then, I found that I don't have KDevelop. I've been on Kubuntu for 3 months and I didn't know I don't have Kdevelop! Color me embarassed.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help .
                        I have another problem now though, when I try and run limewire i get an error telling me it can't find java when i have it installed
                        Code:
                        Starting LimeWire...
                        Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
                        OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. LimeWire works best with Sun JRE available at [url]http://www.java.com[/url]
                        OOPS, unable to locate java exec in /usr/lib/ hierarchy
                        You need to upgrade to JRE 1.4.x or newer from [url]http://www.java.com[/url]
                        ls: /usr/java/j*: No such file or directory
                        OOPS, unable to locate java exec in /usr/java/ hierarchy
                        ls: /opt/j*: No such file or directory
                        OOPS, unable to locate java exec in /opt/ hierarchy
                        Does anyone know where it could have been unpacked to or how to get it into one of these directories that limewire searches?

Comment

From a Konsole type "which java". On my machine, the answer is /uxr/bin/java.

Comment

So, another question...
                            Code:
                            Preparing to install...
                            Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
                            Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
                            No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
                            environment variable. You must install a VM prior to
                            running this program.
                            Where is it searching for Java?

Comment

Define "it"? If "it" means which, the answer is that which searches everywhere that's on your path. If "it" means the Limewire installer, I think you can find the answer to that from the results in your previous message where it lists a bunch of places and says it didn't find anything in any of them (because kubuntu didn't put java where Limewire expects it).

If which returned an answer for where your java VM is located, then you have to link that location to one where limewire can find it, for example, "ln /usr/bin/java /usr/lib/java". The first letter in the quoted command is lower case L. Because the directories in question belong to root, you will have to preface the command with sudo to change them.

If which did not return an answer, then the java vm is not on your path. Do two things, link it to your path with on ln command and link it to Limewire with another.

Comment

Working...
                              X