This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Installing...after Kernal Loads I just get a blinking cursor

Hi...I know very little about linux, but I just got a new (used that is) laptop and I want to play with it, but I'm having problems installing linux on it. I've tried several distros, I've tried Wubi, LiveCd's, DVD's, etc... but keep getting the same issue.

The CD/DVD boots up to the main menu. I select install or run without changing your computer, then the bar pops up showing the Kernel is loading, then I get a black screen with a blinking cursor. And nothing happens....

I've tried everything I can think of . I've got a fresh install of Windows XP Home edition, I've updated all the drivers...Here are my specs

Dell Inspiron 8600
    Intel Pentium M processor 1.80GHz,
    591 MHz,
    1.00 GB of Ram
    Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200
    NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A
    Broadcom 440X 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Can anyone help

Re: Need Help Installing...after Kernal Loads I just get a blinking cursor

What are you trying to load? Kubuntu 7.10? That will help on the replies.

Comment

Trying to load Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

This fixes about 80% of such situations:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

OK.... I did what you said when I saw the blinking cursor.

1. Alt-F1 usually takes you to the Command Line Interface (CLI), aka "text prompt" -- sometimes it requires Ctrl-Alt-F1.
          It didn't do anything

I don't know if Kubuntu is loaded up at this point. The status bar after the Menu shows Kernel Loads 100%, but that takes about 5 seconds. After that the disk drive hums for about 10 seconds, then black screen blinking cursor. And Alt-F1 or Ctrl-Alt-F1 don't do anything.

Comment

OK, looks like you're the "20%-er" for today! LOL

Yep, there's an issue with either your kernel boot options or the video driver it is trying to use, or both.

Let's see, you're still on the Live CD? So, is it F6 or F4 that is called "Options"? Try some of the kernel boot options -- maybe "vga=791", where it offers to let you specify an option. If that doesn't help, try "nosplash".

Comment

OK....

I need you to be real specific here with me.

I've hit F6 at the main menu to get to the other options and a string appeared at the bottom of the menu. I'll give you the last bit...

"/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --"

what do I need to type and where, because I've tried these options and they did not work.

"/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash vga=791 --"

"/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash vga=791"

"/casper/initrd.gz vga=791"

"/casper/initrd.gz quiet nosplash --"

"/casper/initrd.gz quiet"

Sorry I'm making this tough...

I've also tried hitting F4 and booting up in Safe Vga mode...no avail.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X