This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help migrating Firefox from Feisty to Gutsy

I have just installed Gutsy after Feisty fouled up. I kept a copy of my FF .mozilla directory and inserted it into my Gutsy home page. When I tried to start FF, it said FF was already running and to close it. Actually FF was not running and my suspicion is that I saved the Mozilla config files in Feisty when FF was running and this info is somewhere in the .mozilla directory which I have exported to Gutsy, so when I click on FF it thinks it is already running. Could I be right and how do I correct it?

Re: Need help migrating Firefox from Feisty to Gutsy

not firefox expert, but my guess is:
    lock and sessionstore.js in $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/randomnumbersandletters.default/

Comment

Thank you. A guru on Mozilla suggested removing .parentlock file in directory you suggested. I did so but it didn't cure problem. There were 3 sessionstore files, s....js, ...-1.js, and ...-2.js, but they were all empty. I am at a loss.

Comment

What about the symlink file "lock" though?

Another solution to try: move that .mozilla somewhere for backup, delete $HOME/.mozilla, start firefox, close firefox - now go to backup ".mozilla" and copy "bookmarks.html" to $HOME/.mozilla/firefox/someweirdnumbersandletters.default (overwrite the new bookmarks with backup one's) and start the firefox again - if it works you could close the firefox and copy backed up extensions directory to where you copied bookmarks.

#edit: looking at my $HOME/.mozilla directory with "show hidden files" - these two files get deleted if I close firefox - lock, sessionstore.js. The file .parentlock is not deleted, it remains there if I close the browser

Comment

A miracle just happened. I got FF working perfectly with all prev configs by using terminal (sudo firefox). Then I killed it and tried ckicking on FF in Kmenu. Same old message "Firefox is already running but is mot responding". Any idea what gives?

Comment

Also had that problem, I think because I just dragged the profile folder into place (as it sounds you did).
            You CAN simply import, for example, the bookmarks.html.
            I believe the solution rests in how mozilla wants you to “properly” import a profile (which I never did do). It's in their very excellent FAQ/support section somewhere—detailed steps for importing profile folder.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This:
              http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles
              (Or, more generally, this
              http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...port+Home+Page
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                You CAN simply import, for example, the bookmarks.html.
                I prefer to overwrite bookmarks.html file because with import I end up with two bookmarks toolbars (last time I tried).

Comment

Originally posted by ahurd
                  A miracle just happened. I got FF working perfectly with all prev configs by using terminal (sudo firefox).
                  Wouldn't that be dangerous to run web browser with root privileges?
                  Then I killed it and tried ckicking on FF in Kmenu. Same old message "Firefox is already running but is mot responding". Any idea what gives?
                  First of all: did you delete lock, sessionstore.js files and restore the file .parentlock?
                  Open kmenuSystemKSysGuard - look if you can spot firefox-bin/firefox listed there.

Comment

I uninstalled then reinstalled FF. No FF is already running message. I am going to copy over the backup files one at a time and check FF each time. So far I have copied bookmarks and that went fine. I next copied a chrome user file which created a multi-row bookmarks toolbar-very useful and necessary for me. This doesn't work now, although when I was using terminal previously it did work. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X