X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total& definitive freeze after closing laptop lid

Hello,

I guess the title says it all...every time I close my laptop lid kubuntu freezes and there is no way of repairing it ( not even typing in the Raising Small Elephants...), a hard reboot is always necessary. I have a HP 6710b laptop ( although I don't think this matters, a friend of mine experienced the same thing with Asus EEE). The freezing is not program/application related. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior on a laptop? And where should I start repairing it?

Any ideas?

Bye
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: Total&amp; definitive freeze after closing laptop lid

I know you said there's no way of repairing it, but I just want to ask to be thorough: Ctrl+Alt+F1 won't get you to a tty prompt?
    Specs:&nbsp; Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Noup.

Nothing gets me anywhere, unfortunatly. Except for holding the power button for 15 seconds...

Comment

If you haven't tried the 'magic key sequence' yet, then ....

When your PC appears to be 'locked/frozen' then before you press the power button, try this:

Press and hold together, the Alt and SysReq (PrtSc) buttons. Then, in sequence and one at a time, press the r s e i u and b keys. This should result in a clean shutdown.

What you want to take a look at are your power management settings for your laptop, i.e., what do you have set for when you close the laptop cover. Laptop suspend/hibernate functions are 'problematic' at best. When my laptop cover is closed, it just turns off the backlight.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, you see, that's the thing: I tried the r s e i u b sequence (aka Raising Small Elephants Is Utterly Boring - dibl's mnemonic) and the power options are set to "do nothing" when laptop lid is closed.
          Yet it keeps freezing/locking...

Comment

What is the laptop suppose to do when the lid is closed?

I have had a problem like this when my laptop lid was closed. Mine was set to hibernate. I needed to have a swap file that was larger than the amount of ram. I also needed something like this in my boot parameters. resume = /dev/sda1 Your line may vary according to your setup. As with everything linux this may not be ur problem but it solved mine.

David

Comment

Working...
            X