Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OS X backup (Kubuntu drive format/partition/mount questions)??????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS X backup (Kubuntu drive format/partition/mount questions)??????

I have tried to find a post or any info on google about this and I have found several related subjects but none that are exactly like mine. And one thing I have learned is that even the slightest change between hardware or configuration can throw the whole list of someone else's instructions out the window when it comes to dealing with Linux.

I have a self built computer that has three HDD's two of them are 250GB the other 320GB, all are WD. I have one 250 and the 320 as internal drives and one of the 250 as an external. I have Kubuntu installed on the 250GB and nothing so far on the 320GB and all my media on the external (I also have a backup of all my external drive contents on my internal 250GB the same one that has Kubuntu on it, only because my DVD writer is not working to make a backup). I want to use Kubuntu as a media center maybe with Linux MCE or anything of the like.

What I am trying to do is set up one of my drives in Kubuntu so that I can backup my mac's on the 320GB using timemachine or any other type of backup system (I don't need to use Timemachine but would be nice) over the network. What I'm wondering is: What file system do I use for that drive? And how do I mount it? And then how do I share it so that my macs can see it and utilize it?

Also I have a nVidia graphics card and Kubuntu sees it and is telling me that there are restricted drivers available. Should I let it install those drivers or do you recommend a different method. I had to install Kubuntu in safe graphics mode because it didn't recognize my monitors resolution and during the splash screen it would go blank and give me a "Not Supported Mode" error. I had read somewhere that you can open up the xorg.conf file and modify it to utilize my resolution but I don't know the command line so I get scared. Is that something that I would have to do after I install or can I set this up in the install screen before hand? Also will the restricted driver make available that particular resolution or do I still have to do the xorg.conf modification

Although I can get around in windows fairly well, I'm a complete n00b with Kubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter) so please be gentle with me.

Lastly I would just like to thank everyone on these forums. It is great that there are people who are so willing to help complete strangers get a grip on Linux. After messing with Ubuntu and Kubuntu I am hooked and I am determined to become as good as I can with it and look forward to the day when I can be as much help as all of you. I know the feeling of satisfaction you can get from helping others and it can be quite rewarding. I just wish this attitude would spill over into the rest of the world (sorry I'm kind of a hippy at heart). Although I have frequented the Ubuntu Forums looking for solutions I need specific help with the KDE GUI and most everything is about Gnome over there.

My hardware profile is:
    Abit Mobo AN8 32X
    AMD X2 4200
    EVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 GS
    2GB Corsair RAM
    Huappauge Win TV-PVR-500MCE (as soon as I get it back from repair)

Re: OS X backup (Kubuntu drive format/partition/mount questions)

This is my first post as well. I have been using Kubuntu for 4 months, XP for years Just started with OS X.

I have a related problem which I have been frantically trying to solve, think it might not happen, but I will post & seek wisdom.

From my search & my experience of installing Kubuntu/XP/OS X, I have some relevant information (but not all). EXT3/NTFS/HFS+ partition formats (respectively) dont seem to get on all that well together.

for OSX you will NEED to use the HFS+ filesystem to backup to, assuming you are using OS X software (eg time machine). HFS+ partitions are not supported by the majority of Partitioning Software, eg Gparted, Windows Partition Manager, the KDE partition tool (i forget).

I found 3 methods to make an HFS+ (journaled) partition.

1) use the DISKPART utility in XP, activated from the command prompt. The Partition Manager cant do it.
    Open Command prompt, type DISKPART to enter the utility. LIST the disks, SELECT the disk you want to partition, LIST the partitions on that disk,SELECT the partition you want to alter, or make a new one. use help for the exact syntax, there are few commands & it is mostly straightforward. you have to use CAPITALS or it wont recognize your commands. When I made an HFS+ partition I used something like MAKE PARTITION id=af.

Check the syntax on this command, I always seem to need more than one try. The id=af is the relevant thing, it is correct. Although I couldnt find this switch documented any where, I found it on the osx86 forum. It worked.
    I made the partition, booted up OS X, ran the disk utility & OS X recognized it as an HFS+ journaled partition straight away. To be safe I selected it & checked then erased it, as I couldn't quite believe I had successfully made it.

Here is a (not so helpful) reference to start
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb490893.aspx

here is where I found the id=af switch, see see sections 4 to 9 of the procedure. I would like a better reference, but they are scarce. I followed 4 to 9, they worked. The syntax is wrong though. My advice would be not to follow the rest of the instructions, I didnt.
    http://maconpc.distinctlyjordan.com/...p-and-leopard/

2) In Kubuntu, use the cfdisk command in Konsole to create an HFS+ partition. It didnt work for me as I didnt like my multi partition/format file table.

3) If you have data on the disk you need to keep. create a separate fat32 partition using whatever (eg Gparted, KDE partition manager etc NOT Windows Partition Manager). Boot up OS X, run the disk utility, select the Fat32 Partition you just made. Erase the partition once as FAT32 format. Erase (convert) the partition again as HFS+ Journaled format. you are good to go. This didnt work for me, maybe as I created it in Windows Partition Manager (ugh)

4) If you can afford to erase the whole disk it is much easier. You can just boot up OS X, run disk utility. Select the disk you want to format, click the format tab. set you options and format it.

sorry to run on so much, Like I said this is my first post. I have lost a few hours/braincells trying to figure this much out

best of luck

Comment

@roho
      I have zero experience with OS X, but from what I understand of your post, you have a mac and you want your linux box to be a file repository to back up your files on OS X over the network. Is that accurate?

If so, the filesystem you use is not very crucial; it's probably best to use ext3. Filesystem compatibility really only matters when the operating systems are running on the same machine and thus sharing the same physical drive. Over a network, all of the details of the filesystem are abstracted by the network sharing service (Samba, NFS, etc) so they are of no consequence to other machines using the service.

Let me know if my understanding of your situation is correct, and I'll go on with what you need to do.
      Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

I believe this article: "HowTo: Make Ubuntu A Perfect Mac File Server And Time Machine Volume" @ http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/...achine-volume/ will help you.

Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X