This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glxgears libGL.so.1 error

I was having trouble installing some drivers, so I tried something I came accross, which is:
    Code:
    ln -d /usr/share/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    and than
    ln -s /usr/share/fglrx/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
    Then I tried to run glxgears and this is the output:
    Code:
    glxgears: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I just switched from XP, so I knew I'll mess something up the moment I'll get my hands on linux.

Please help.

Re: glxgears libGL.so.1 error

I suspect that you've made a mistake. From man ln "-d,-F,--directory allow the superuser to attempt to hardlink directories (note will probably fail due to system restrictions, even for the superuser)."

How to repair:
    First, find libGL.so.1.2 -- from the konsole run "locate libGL.so.1.2". On my system, (kubuntu 5-10 with an nvidia graphics system), it's in /usr/lib32/i686/mmx/cmov/

Second, soft link the file into /usr/lib/ as libGL.so.1

I have a couple of questions here. Do you really need to do this? glxgears just works for me by typeing "glxgears" from the konsole. What you're doing is serious system stuff. Are you knowledgable enough to do this? If you are, forgive me for doubting you. If not, read the man pages for glxgears, locate and ln. You will need to use sudo to run the ln command. Note that my failure to include verbatim commands is deliberate, but I (or someone else) will be happy to check what you come up with before you run the ln -s comand.

Come back if you need more help.

Comment

First, find libGL.so.1.2 -- from the konsole run "locate libGL.so.1.2"
      Yes that was the problem, I just copied the location I saw somebody else had, thought I have it in the same dir. It works now

Do you really need to do this? glxgears just works for me by typeing "glxgears" from the konsole.
      I did that because of some other error I got, but can't remember which one, heh. I then tried to run glxgears to test and gotten this error.

Are you knowledgable enough to do this?
      No, not really. An error forced me to do it :P After some googling of course

Thanks for helping me

Comment

Any time. How do you think I learn this stuff?

Comment

Working...
        X