This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mp3 and youtube ;-(

the kubuntu forums have been much more helpful than the ub forums, so I'll post here even though it's xubuntu that's kickin' my ar$3.

Like the title says mp3 and youtube (streaming) are not working.

I have been using kubuntu w/ no problems using the analog out from my soundcard. Optical another story, but not why I'm here.

I tried mint and never got sound working, codec friendly haha...

I put the live cd of xubuntu in and it played flac just fine.

installed xu and I've added medibuntu to the repos, searched many times here and the web and tried adding every codec mentioned. In kubuntu amarok got the codec for me by itself the first time I played an mp3 so I installed amarok, didn't offer to install it this time.

Can anyone help? I'm on a slower machine so I wasn't going to put kubuntu on this one, but I may have to!

did
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras?
    before and after adding medi to the repos.

also I don't even have .flac playback at the moment.

Re: mp3 and youtube have me pulling my hair out! please help!

I've always had to manually install the mp3 playback capabilities for Amarok and most media formats, so go over and double-check your media packages. One in particular that I seem to remember is the libgstreamer0.10, and if you're using Kaffeine, kaffeine-gstreamer. Check those, or perhaps there's a Xubuntu analog. I'm not familiar with that interface however.

Comment

What browser are you using for YouTube?

YouTube is flash based and you can download the flash installer from Adobe's website and they have instructions for Firefox. I think Konqueror automatically looks at the Mozilla plugins but someone else might know more about that than I.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

flash works, the video works, just no sound. When I tried mint on this machine flash worked out of the box but no sound on youtube.

Like I said, .flac was working on the live cd last night, but now no sound at all. Very frustrating.
        [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Have you had a look at kmix? See which channels are activated.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

don't have kmix in xubuntu but everything in the mixer looks right.
            [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

i usually get all my media to play by downloading the following things

synaptic
              automatix (search for it in synaptic)

use automatix, and download all the media codecs...

then use synaptic and search for and download the following items

divx
              avi
              dvd
              vlc
              ogle

I use this combo of things and it works for me... it may help you..

Comment

I've heard of automatix breaking things, but I've really got nothing to lose, I'll fresh install kubuntu if this doesn't work.

I installed automatix2 and the rest of the programs you listed, along w/ all codecs w/ same names. still no go.

Comment

With some sound cards / distros, I've always had to start alsamixer from the konsole and either unmute a channel or pump up the volume on some other channel that kmix did not display. That's the first place I would start.
                  Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

tried alsa in terminal, a few were low, so I raised them all the way. IEC958 was off, pretty sure they are supposed to be. Any other ideas, before I kill this install and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Hythloday
                      also I don't even have .flac playback at the moment.

Try running 'sudo alsaconf', and running through the setup process, and see if that fixes the problem.
                      The answers are out there...

Comment

solved! installing kubuntu gutsy. After a few weeks of mint kde and ubuntu I'll just go back to what works! Kubuntu ftw!

Comment

Re: [solved] Kubuntu ftw! mint and xubu had me pulling my hair out!

I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions about performance. Does Kubuntu feel slower than Xubuntu?
                          The answers are out there...

Comment

Re: mp3 and youtube ;-(

honesltly I don't notice any difference, this system is 1.5ghz and 1024 ram. and btw, still no sound, I spoke too soon. amarox installed mp3 codecs like it was supposed to but no playback

I do have an older system that has fluxbuntu on it 1ghz 512sdr but the onboard graphics couldn't keep up so I"m looking for a pci vid card right now.

If anything I'd say mint kde was bit more sluggish, and except for having firefox and flash preinstalled I prefer good old kubuntu, as soon as I get the sound working again.

Comment

Re: mp3 and youtube ;-(

Wild guess that helped me ages back: is the KDE sound system hogging the sound card? Under System Settings -> Sound System, try ensuring "Auto-suspend if idle" is enabled and set to 1sec.

Comment

Working...
                              X