Kubuntu on Macbook Pro killed Windows XP

Hi!

I have installed Kubuntu as described in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro

However when I reboot into Windows partition, windows says;

Code:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt;
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file
    I'm wondering if my partitioning deleted something. Windows is being recognized
    as a bootable volume at start up, but will not start.

What can i do 2 fix?

thx

Re: Kubuntu on Macbook Pro killed Windows XP

I tried booting from XP disc, running repair and typing;
    Code:
    chkdsk /r
    It said it repaired something in the drive but on reboot I got the same error message.

Is there a command in Linux to more closely examine my partitions? To see if I overwrote a windows boot or something?

Comment

imho its not a "partition" problem. I think have something to to with the "boot" part. do you moved/resized the windows partition before to install kubuntu? Sorry but cannot give you more hints since im not used with mac's

Comment

Well thx 4 trying anyway, I'm not a windozr, so system problems I am not used2 hndling.
        I have tried the receipe described on Microsoft site;
        http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330184
        but did not help. I think this is a problem associated with a mltiboot system cause it only corrupts after i install kubuntu.
        Seems to work ok along side my mac with justt the 2 boot systems.

I have already reinstall;ed and that did not work, I am out of clues,...

Comment

Since I also have no experience with mac's, I'd rather not tackle this. It does sound like a boot problem. I do know, however, that the error you got is a real hassle to many Window's users, as a google on it will reveal.

system32\hal.dll
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I should add for you that what we know about and do with the Linux/GRUB bootloader is summed up in this how-to:
            How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
            (and the posts that follow under it; the part about re-installing GRUB would be the closest thing to possibly being of any help here, but even then, it's a long shot)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

i had this problem with my macbook when i re-installed windows xp. this should help with any hal.dll error windows generates booting up on a mac.

the boot.ini file was trying to point to the wrong partition when booting.

Originally posted by c:/boot.ini
              [boot loader]
              timeout=30
              default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
              [operating systems]
              multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

where it said partition(2) it was 0, so it was trying to boot off of the os x disk, i used disk manager in os x to see xp was on partition 2, but it may be different on your machine. after i changed that value, xp worked again.

Comment

Working...
              X