This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pros and cons of Kpackage?

I have been using Synaptic on a regular basis and the one fault I find in this program is that I have to use a console from time to time to do housecleaning; apt-get autoremove, apt-get autoclean . . . Another complaint is that it won't install downloaded DEBs. I am not at all impressed with Gdebi so I do this in a console too: dpkg -i downloaded-program.deb. And it would be nice if there was a GUI frontend for installing the odd RPM, instead of Alien then dpkg in a console.

I seem to have found a solution to all this in Kpackage. Aside from the fact that it's mind-numbingly slow, is there anything else I should know about it? (Like how to get it to run faster?)
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Re: Pros and cons of Kpackage?

If you stick with the packages in the repos, Synaptic or Adept Manager should be all that you need. It is true that you "need" to run apt-get autoclean in the Konsole, once in awhile, but it's not as though your system will blow up if you don't run it.

The notion that you need to bring in external .deb packages on a regular basis is a little surprising -- what are all these packages that are missing from the 22,000 in the standard repos?

I used KPackage on Sidux to install the 27 Compiz packages needed to run compiz over there, and it works, more or less, but I only used it out of desperation, and it took several passes to get all the dependencies resolved.

Comment

Working...
    X