This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless/NDISWrapper help please!

I installed Kubuntu this evening and it seemed to load all right except I cannot get it to even see my wireless adapter (a Linksys WUSB54G -- USB adapter). I did extensive Googling prior to installing, and I thought I had it sorted with NDISWrapper, at least on the Ubuntu forums in the wireless hardware list other folks had said that this wireless adapter worked with NDISWrapper. The issue is that this computer on which I've installed Kubuntu is on a different floor than the computer with the DSL modem and wireless router, so wireless is the only internet connection it will have. There's no way to set up a wired connection on this machine apart from lugging it downstairs, and temporarily hooking up the other computer's ethernet cable.

However, to get started, that is what I did; I then went into Adept and downloaded ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9. Once they were installed I went into Konsole (bear in mind I'm a total newbie, with only a few weeks' experience in Linux, so please tell me if I did something wrong here), navigated to the directory in which I'd copied my Windows driver files for the wireless adapter, and entered the following comand (as instructed on several webpages I'd found regarding setting up wireless connections in K/Ubuntu): sudo ndiswrapper -i wusb54g.inf. The system returned the message Installing wusb54g... and after a few seconds returned a command prompt, so I assumed it had worked. However, issuing an iwconfig still returned the following: lo no wireless extensions, eth0 no wireless extensions and that was it. Kubuntu still sees no router at all, even after installing the driver with ndiswrapper.

Can anyone help please?

EDIT: I forgot to mention: When I try to go to K > Internet > KNetworkManager, nothing happens; KNetworkManager won't load. I don't know if that is connected to this issue or not.

Re: Wireless/NDISWrapper help please!

The next command after installing the ndiswrapper module is to load it into the kernel:

Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Then add 'ndiswrapper' to be a loaded module on startup:

Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/modules
    add 'ndiswrapper' to the bottom and save.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

OK I followed those two steps, but still no good. Now when I boot up I get an error message saying "usb 5-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110" a bunch of times, like 6 or 8 times, and then another error message that says "kernel is 64 bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit; bad magic: 010B".

I am trying to move to Linux from Windows XP, so my wireless driver is 32-bit; however the new system I just built (which does not have Windows on it -- one reason for moving to Linux was that I could afford Linux but I can't afford to buy a new copy of Windows!) has a 64-bit AMD Athlon processor. I didn't even think of that. Is there anything I can do, short of trying the 32-bit distro of Kubuntu? I'd like to take advantage of the fact that I have a 64-bit CPU if I can, but I suppose it's more important to have a working slower computer than a non-working faster one...

Comment

There are some difficulties with 64bit. I haven't had the pleasure of venturing there yet. Even in M$ world there are issues. You would definately have an easier time with 32bit.

Mike

Comment

Is there a big difference in speed, for example? Will running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU noticeably slow things down? Or does it not really matter?

Comment

I have not used 64bit, so I could not give you an honest assessment.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X