X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing kubuntu to a slave drive

Hey everyone,

Nice community I see here.This isn't my first venture into linux but hopefully the first one I'll be sticking with

I'm currently using WinXP and want to install kubuntu onto a slave IDE I've got that needs to be put to good use. I've been googling around and I only really see reference to working with 2 partitions on a single drive so I'd rather get a fresh perspective on things.

During the kubuntu installer (which I have yet to run) I understand I'm going to be asked to install grub to the mbr of my current booting drive. If I do this will the installer be intelligent enough to allow me to boot between the two drives or will I have to manually edit anything?

I want to be 100% sure before I do anything as I'll no doubt need to jump into windows aload and hit up google to get my wifi working before everything is squeeky smooth.

Thanks

Re: Installing kubuntu to a slave drive

Hi,
    In fact, it's no problem (of course, I'm not 100% sure but 99,99 )
    You will see later in your /boot/grub/menu.lst that you have few lines for windows : hd0,0
    and few for linux with something like hd1,? or hd3,?

Hope it helped

Comment

I have two drives in my machine currently. First one has Windows XP install and Kubuntu installed. during the install you will be asked which drive you wish to install Kubuntu on, the drives are refered to by manufacturer label which you should be able to find in the bios (In my case it was easy one disk is a Maxtor and the second is Hitachi so I selected the one starting with H)

Once kubuntu is installed (near the end of the initial install, just before reboot) you will be prompted to install Grub. At this point the install should say that it has found a Windows XP install and ask you to confirm this is the only other OS on your system.

all you have to do is select yes and Grub will be installed and configured for you.

Easy

Comment

I'm using windows on my primary sata driver and kubuntu is currently installed to a slaved IDE.

Now I got kubuntu to install grub only after reformatting the drive as ntfs first from windows and then re running the kubuntu installer and reformatting the drive etc.

I maually installed grub to the ide drive. Now when i let kubuntu install it itself , just by selecting yes as you mentioned, I got the same error as I'm getting now upon restart...please insert bootable disk.

Everything is setup correctly in the bios. When I set my ide drive as first in the boot order i get the non bootable message, and when I switch back to my sata as first bootable I get nothing with regards to a grub bootloader. Windows just loads normally.

I was thinking about going by the instructions here: http://enterprise.linux.com/article....tid=129&tid=49

..reckon they'll work?

Comment

ok fixed, it was the jumper setting on the slave drive

Comment

I have Xp installed on master and Kubuntu on slave. Installed grub on floppy so there would be no chance of corrupting NTboat loader (still running Xp as I am still in the learning proccess of Linux/Kubuntu) Set BIOS to check a: drive first then ide second, floppy in--Kubuntu boot, floppy out-Xp boot.

Comment

Originally posted by SinisterSole
              I have Xp installed on master and Kubuntu on slave. Installed grub on floppy so there would be no chance of corrupting NTboat loader (still running Xp as I am still in the learning proccess of Linux/Kubuntu) Set BIOS to check a: drive first then ide second, floppy in--Kubuntu boot, floppy out-Xp boot.
              A floppy is one option, in cases you're not sure if you'll stick with linux. Though it's very easy to fix your Win boot with a Win CD or rescue disks in the rare case Linux messes up with it's GRUB installation.

The problem with a floppy is that it is not a very 'safe' media to store anything long term, they damage easily, so it would be advisable to create a couple of floppies for back-up. Loosing your sole Linux boot disk is not a catastrophe, but in case of a hurry it can be annoying.

Comment

Working...
              X