X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD problems

Hello everyone,

I'm a total Linux newbie, just built my first computer which is also my first Linux box. Before building, I had tried out several Linux distros from Live CDs on my old Dell desktop (which is now my wife's computer) and settled on Ubuntu -- in particular, I really like the Ubuntu philosophy and the extensive minority language support. So I built my computer, and to my chagrin, I tried to install Ubuntu for 3 days and gave up. The Live CD wouldn't even boot, the alt-install CD installed but with all sorts of errors and display issues, and eventually I just said forget it and tried some other distros until I found one (Mandriva) which actually both booted from the Live CD and installed without any errors. I discovered during all this that I actually really like the K desktop and prefer some of the KDE applications (e.g. K3B, Amarok) over their Gnome equivalents. And while Mandriva is working so far, still in the back of my mind I'm a bit frustrated that I'm not using Ubuntu; I prefer Synaptic and the Debian package system to Mandriva's RPMs, and as I said before, I really like Ubuntu's language support and general philosophy. So it seems to me like Kubuntu would be the best of both worlds for me.

So I thought I'd try it out and burned a Live CD of Kubuntu 7.10. When I just choose "Start or Install Kubuntu", it loads -- I get the Kubuntu logo and the blue bar fills up -- but when it finishes loading, instead of going into the desktop, all I get is a command line prompt "ubuntu@ubuntu:~$", and then I don't know what to do. I can't get it to do anything from there. I tried rebooting the live CD and selecting "Start in Safe Graphics Mode"; this time it loaded and did continue into the desktop but I had no internet connection (this computer is upstairs and only has a wireless connection via a USB network adapter; the modem and router are downstairs, connected to another computer). Kubuntu didn't even recognize that the wireless adapter existed on my computer; the only recognized connection was the onboard LAN, which of course was not connected since the DSL modem is on a different floor. So I'm nervous about trying an actual install lest I lose all internet connection.

So, what this all boils down to: Can I get Kubuntu to load normally from the Live CD without having to go into safe graphics mode? Is there any way to establish a wireless internet connection from the Live CD, or at least to be sure that I'll have one once I install so that I'm not stuck unable to update my system, etc.? Can I do all this on Kubuntu 7.10, or should I hold out for 8.04 and see if that works any better?

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Re: Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD problems

First a little bit of info on what is in your box. (IE Vid card mother board etc.) 2nd (K)ubuntu is much happier with a live internet connection. If possible tote your box to the nearest hardwire. For the USB wireless, I have had the best success with the Belkin 5700 series USB adapter and NDISWRAPPER to wrap the windows driver.

Now in risk of getting in trouble and for the record I do love my Kubuntu, there are just some machines that are not happy with Kubuntu, or one of the derivatives. (Mint etc) Try PC Linux OS. It uses RPM management, but you can also apt-get install or use synaptic. Kubuntu is still a nicer distro but what works for most may not work. for all.

Now get us some more info on your box and lets get Kubuntu running

Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. I've got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ dual-core CPU in a Biostar TForce TF7025-M2 motherboard with 2GB RAM. Using the onboard NVIDIA video. (Someday I'll get a proper video card, but as I was building on a tight budget I chose a mobo with decent onboard graphics to get me through till that day comes .) My wireless adapter is a Linksys Wireless-G model # WUSB54G. I had it lying around so I wanted to see if I could get it to work before I went out and bought something else. I assume Mandriva must come with ndiswrapper as it asked me for the CD with the Windows driver during install, I popped the CD in the drive, and it was off and running; Kubuntu, however, doesn't seem to see it, at least from the live CD. I was wondering if perhaps I should try setting up a dual boot with Mandriva and Kubuntu, that way if I can't get the Kubuntu working, I could still have the Mandriva without having to reinstall it. But that would involve repartitioning the hard drive, and I'm not really sure how to do that! Of course, it's all a learning experience, right? I built the computer in the first place to get the experience of building a computer, so I suppose messing it all up and reinstalling OS after OS is part of the process...

Thomas

Comment

If you still have the live cd around try the graphics safe mode for the live cd. If it boots ok it is probably a driver problem with the onboard video.
        "I Come From the Net, through Systems, Peoples and cities...to this place, MAINFRAME, My format, Guardian, to mend and defend, to protect my new found freinds, thier hopes and dreams, to defend them from...Thier enemies"

Comment

The safe graphics mode worked and I was able to install Kubuntu. Now, however, I've got a bunch of other problems, but those will go in different threads!

Comment

Working...
          X