X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adept & home folder

Hi guys

2 questions which I hope you can answer

1. Is there something on track to improve the GUI of adept (something like GNOME provides)?
    2. Whenever I uninstall stuff from my installation some (setting-)files are left in the users directory or worse all over the place, while I can understand in which case this could be usefull (reinstall), it's certainly not for me (at least not in 99% of all cases). How can I persuade adept to remove those folders, too (please understand, while I can handle console commands, I'd rather prefer a GUI solution as I use Kubuntu as a desktop-system)?

Thanks!

Re: adept & home folder

Originally posted by squirrel

1. Is there something on track to improve the GUI of adept (something like GNOME provides)?

You're saying Gnome provides an improved GUI?

Perhaps you'd like Synaptic better than Adept Manager. It is in the list of packages in Adept -- just mark it for installation and give it a try.

2. Whenever I uninstall stuff from my installation some (setting-)files are left in the users directory or worse all over the place, while I can understand in which case this could be usefull (reinstall), it's certainly not for me (at least not in 99% of all cases). How can I persuade adept to remove those folders, too (please understand, while I can handle console commands, I'd rather prefer a GUI solution as I use Kubuntu as a desktop-system)?
    Sorry, the correct answer for this is "apt-get", which is the command line application for package management. The commands you're seeking are:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    But please do
    Code:
    man apt-get
    first and review the features and functions of these commands before you launch them, just so you'll have an idea of what's going on.

Comment

Hehe, yes, I'm sorry, GNOME has in some areas the upper hand. Nevertheless I'm a proud Kubuntu user :P

Thanks for the Synaptic hint, I'll give it a shot.

As for the "apt-get" commands, I know them already, but somehow they don't help, well, at least not in each case. However I have to admit I didn't pay too much attention to this...maybe I'm posting in some days/weeks with a more specific question (if the manpages doesn't help)

Thanks!

Comment

You also might want to take a look at
        Code:
        man aptitude
        I vaguely recall that aptitude has some special virtues concerning tracking package dependencies, such that it is able to "remember" all the dependencies that it brought in with each installed package, and can remove them all if the package itself is removed.

Comment

Ahhh...now I begin to understand why people saying one should use aptitude instead of apt-get (wouldn't be doable to implement the "remember" function into apt-get too, I'm kind of used to apt-get ).

Thanks!

Comment

Here's a link on the topic:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/aptitude

Comment

Hmmm...when I'm using "adept" to install and uninstall applications, then aptitude doesn't help...(btw. synaptics goes into the wrong direction for me..it should be easier not more complicate, althoug I like the "Installed Package"-View).

Comment

I'm using GtkOrphan to remove some remaining files

You might wanne have a look at it.

http://www.marzocca.net/linux/gtkorphan.html
                Acer Aspire 5100<br />Kubuntu Hardy 8.04

Comment

Working...
                X