This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloads/Apept Stalls

I am new to the whole Linux experience and I am having a little difficulties upgrading or downloading anything from the internet the process stalls. I think this may have something to do with a firewall? My computer is connected to my network at my office.

Re: Downloads/Apept Stalls

You really need to ask this of your system administrator at the office. He/She can tell you if your company firewall restricts downloads or not.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by rjnolan85
      I am new to the whole Linux experience and I am having a little difficulties upgrading or downloading anything from the internet the process stalls. I think this may have something to do with a firewall? My computer is connected to my network at my office.
      Adept is still somewhat buggy. Use Synaptics or Kpackage.

Regards,

Comment

In Debian Sarge this was not an issue. The stalls did not start until I installed Kubuntu. Is there a firewall installed on Kubuntu by default and if so how do I disable it?

Comment

In Debian Sarge this was not an issue. The stalls did not start until I installed Kubuntu. Is there a firewall installed on Kubuntu by default and if so how do I disable it?
          I guess I misunderstood your first post.

As far as I know, a firewall is not installed in Kubuntu 5.10 by default. You can check easy enough to see if you have one installed and running by clicking on the "K" menu and then "System". A firewall if installed should be located there. For example, my "System" menu shows Guarddog as a selection.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by chscag
            I guess I misunderstood your first post.

As far as I know, a firewall is not installed in Kubuntu 5.10 by default. You can check easy enough to see if you have one installed and running by clicking on the "K" menu and then "System". A firewall if installed should be located there. For example, my "System" menu shows Guarddog as a selection.

Regards.
            There is (default) no firewall-program installed in (K)ubuntu. At least not in the Kubuntu testversions that I have tried, incl. 6.04 Flight 4. It's a big, glaring security risk not to have one installed.

Regards, Ko

Comment

Originally posted by oblio
              It's a big, glaring security risk not to have one installed.
              It's not that simple, AFAIK the default installation of (k)ubuntu does not listen to any non-localhost ports so there are no open ports to exploit.

If you plan on opening ports and/or wish to hide your computer you should of course configure the iptables firewall with Guarddog or Firestarter, for example

Also if you're behind NAT-router (which is becoming more common these days) a firewall is (in most cases) not necessary.

Comment

From one newbie to another. I was having the same problems, good internet connection but adept would not connect, just said downloading headers for like 10 min then crashed. My router was serving it's own IP as the primary dns server. When I hard coded my ISPs primary and secondary dns via kdesu kcontrol it worked fine. Check those DNS entries and good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X