X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regaring linux/kubuntu

Hello,

I've been thinking about getting Linux for some time because I'm sick of the fact that my copy of XP Pro (well, technically home modified to think that it is Pro) has been updowngraded to act more like Vista. I've asked some people who have used linux before which distro I should use and they recommended Kubuntu as being good for beginners. However, before I go ahead and install it I've got a few questions. I'd be planning to dual boot between Linux and Windows.

1. Will my system run Kubuntu well?

Specs:
    Dell 9100 - Running XP SP2
    3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT Processor
    229GB HDD, About 132GB spare.
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    256MB ATI Radeon X600
    Sigmatel Sound Card

I've been told that support for ATI graphics cards aren't that good and it can be a pain to install the drivers. Is this true, and is the same the case for my sound card? Also, I've heard that installing Linux can cause some 'problems' for windows. Is this true?

2. How much disk space should I partition? I'm using a shared family computer, but I have asked the rest of my family if it's okay, and they said it was fine. I intend to use Linux for working, programming, chatting and mainly a small bit of gaming (assuming the game in question works on Linux). As far as I know, everyone else in my family will keep to windows. I want to keep the partition as small as possible, so is 29GB enough, or do I need more/less?

3. Assuming I get my graphics card working, which is better, KDE 3.5 or 4.0? From what I've heard KDE 4.0 is still a bit buggy, but then it does look better than 3.5 in my opinion. Also, I'm interested in getting compiz fusion. Is this is easy to install as an extra?

Aside from that, I'm not really worried about too much else. I've had a look at how the command line works, and I reckon I've got a basic grasp of how it works, though I guess I won't know until I have to use it for real. As for applications, I've used quite a bit of free software which is available for windows/linux (Open Office, XChat, Emesene & Firefox mainly) so I know what items I want to get.

I apologise if I've missed something big in the , I did look at the Useful Tips for newbies go here thread, but I'm still not 100% sure about what to do. I'd rather check than muck things up.

Thanks, Dracion

Edit: Forgot question 3!

Re: Questions regaring linux/kubuntu

1) I prefer and use Kubuntu, but blasphemy, blasphemy, Ubuntu is supposed to be a bit easier for beginners (But shhh we'll keep that between us)

2) "Will my system run Kubuntu well?"

You can try a LiveCD (the Desktop disk) which will run entirely from the CDRom and leave the Hard Drive absolutely untouched. Kubuntu tends not to work as well on super-up-to-date machines because it takes a while to catch up e.g possibly stumbles with Sata disks.

3) "I've been told that support for ATI graphics cards aren't that good and it can be a pain to install the drivers" Untrue! The script by Albert Milone called "Envy" will check out what card you have, download the correct driver and install it. It is available from: http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

4)"I want to keep the partition as small as possible, so is 29GB enough, or do I need more/less?" More than enough.

5)"which is better, KDE 3.5 or 4.0?" I believe 4.0 is still in the alpha stage, buggy and a work in progress.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the advice

I did think about downloading Ubuntu, and I have since taken the test at www.zegeniestudios.net since making the post. It did put Ubuntu over Kubuntu, but I'm more keen on the KDE desktop, and it seems silly to get Ubuntu with Gnome then install KDE instead of getting Kubuntu.

I should have mentioned something about a LiveCD, it completely skipped my mind when writing that post, thanks for reminding me. I have looked at the CD list but I'm not sure what one to download :S. I take it it's the kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso, can someone clarify that one though? Might also be worth mentioning that my computer is about 2.5 years old, so I hoping that isn't too much of a problem.

Also, at this stage should I get 7.10 or 6.06? I'm thinking 6.06 will be better in terms of support especially as it's my first attempt at installing Linux, but thenI'm also keen on trying out new and somewhat 'flashy' software.

Comment

That P4 includes the EM64T architecture, according to this:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...ium4/index.htm

so you can run 64-bit Linux if you want. To try it out on a live CD, you would download and burn the ISO image referred to as "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop CD" on the Kubuntu download mirrors. If you do download it, burn your CD at NO MORE THAN 4X SPEED -- it uses compression technology and is very sensitive to minor burn defects.

If you later decide you want to install it on your computer, I personally prefer the "Alternate Install" CD image, available on the same site. You can install from the Live CD, but the choices for handling video, and the control of Grub placement seem to be a little more flexible on the Alternate Install version.

Comment

7.10 is stable on my computer and I would a bit faster than 6.06

With respect to the CD, kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso is the one to go for:
          - i386 is the standard intel architecture, not extended to 64 bits. Binaries for 64 bit architectures are not always available and thus some source compilation is required for some install, when source are available (i.e. when the SW is free)... not your profile I guess
          - Desktop comes with the graphical interface (X+KDE) installed and configured; server does not and is for WEB servers

The alternate install allows more choices about partitionning

Enjoy

Comment

It is very easy to install kde even if you start off with gnome (normal ubuntu distro). It's completely a personal choice so you should try first and see which one suits you the best. Ubuntu 7.10 detects my old gfx card without any issues. Else, you always have envy.

A bit of idea on how well ubuntu supports older pcs

My Specs:
            Compaq nx7010 - Running Gutsy gibbon 7.10
            1.6 GHz Intel Centrino Processor
            About 32GB for linux. 18 for WinXP SP2
            1GB DDR2 RAM
            64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
            Using Gnome, KDE4 and XFCE

KDE 4 is still a little buggy, so KDE 3.5.9 is a better choice. HDD space depends on what work you wish to do on your ubuntu system. 29 is GB is more than sufficient.
            If you find the installation a little intimidating, you can also try Wubi at http://wubi-installer.org/

Comment

Working...
            X