This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epson DX7400

I have just been out to buy one of these as they are supported by Linux however!

I have Kubuntu installed and the drivers I can get from Epson Avasys support:

Red Hat Linux 9
    Turbo Linux 11
    Mandriva 2006
    OpenSuse 10.2
    Fedora Core6

Is there any way I can stick with Kubuntu which I really like or do I have to try one of these distros.

I was given this advice as below which I followed which let me install the printer, however even though I can print documents in O.O Writer when I tried to print a landscape pdf it printed the top left corner in a portrait style (the facility to change portrait/landscape is greyed out in the printer options screen.

Any ideas because I have already taken back a Kodak printer I got for my birthday and swapped it for this, my Dad is not going to be best pleased if I say this isn't fully functioning either!

thanks in advance,
    Susan

(You can use the appropriate RPM from the download page, but you have to convert it. Download it to a directory, then open a command line and go to that directory.

Use the command

Code:

sudo alien <packagename>.rpm

where you replace <packagename> with the correct name of course. If alien is not yet installed, you get an error message. In that case, use

Code:

sudo apt-get install alien

to install it.

There should be a file with the same name as the rpm and the extension deb in the directory once the alien command above has been successful. To install the content of the deb, do the following:

Code:

sudo dpkg -i <packagename>.deb)

again replacing <packagename> with the actual name. The printer drivers should then be available in your printer setup tool.
    Kubuntu 7.10<br />Desperate for KDE4

Re: Epson DX7400

Open Adept Manager and check that you have these packages installed:

cupsys-driver-gutenprint
    foomatic-db-gutenprint
    ijsgutenprint
    libgutenprint2
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am doing some research here. The DX7400 and DX8400 are the same printer it appears, with the DX8400 having an LCD screen and some other goodies. I will post the links in a few minutes, still researching.

Mike
      http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks, I had the last three of the files but not the first, I have now installed that and await the next advice!

Comment

Here is a link to the ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568268&page=8. The first post on that page has links for a couple of files. If you already have the rpm package converted to deb using alien, you can most likely skip those steps. Read it and post any questions.

Mike
          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

In Adept Manager you should also check for these installed packages:

cups-pdf
            ghostscript
            ghostscript-x
            kpdf
            libgs8
            libpoppler-glib2
            libpoppler-qt2
            libpoppler2
            poppler-utils

After verifying and/or installing any missing, then, with your printer turned on, perform a normal shutdown/restart of your PC (leave the printer turned on). Once fully booted, and the printer showing ready, try printing your document again.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well first reports back is that I have been able to print a gmail out with no problem but when I tried to print the pdf it simply didn't send it to print.

Also after the last bit of text on the last page of the email the sheet has stopped partway through the printer. I had to turn the printer off for it to release the last page.

Must go to bed as it is 2.25am here and I am up at 8.15am, I will come back and explore further then!

thanks
              Susan

Snowhog - haven't had chance to follow yours up will do tomorrow.....

Comment

Well I've checked all those files were present and they were then rebooted as recommended. I am one step closer in that I got the whole pdf printed, however it still printed a landscape document in portrait, the difference was that instead of giving me just one corner of it I had it all but squashed to a different shape.

I could only chose to change the option of the page size in the printer option and KPDF had no place to try changing it around to portrait to try to fix it.

My only thought left is to reinstall and instead of choosing the ppd file let cups choose the same printer from the drop down list, so I'll do this now!

Comment

so much for that, I have to use the ppd page or the printer does noting. So I am still stuck with the only changeable factor being the page!

If someone has any further advice I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Susan

Comment

Next update, I can choose to print a photo as well as a report, when I open the item within Konqueror I get all the options which I don't in other programs so this is all good, however a slight annoyance is that although I told it to print a 4" x 6" with no borders it printed 3" x 3.5" in the middle of the paper!

These things are sent to try us!

Has anyone had similar problems?

Comment

Working...
                    X