Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

umm..does Linux have a very functional messenger?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm..does Linux have a very functional messenger?

Yes, I'm a Linutic. Yes, I love Linux. But I have a problem in using Pigin and Kopete.
    I want to have a messenger with functionality similar to Yahoo Messenger. I want to
    use my mic & web cam while talking to my friends online. Does Pidgin and/or Kopete
    (or any Linux based messenger) have such functions? I also want to have a function
    on my messnger that would automatically sign me up on mobile whenever I logout
    of my messenger.

Re: umm..does Linux have a very functional messenger?

kopete supports webcam and mic quite well.

Comment

kopete have such features...?

Comment

Kopete signs me into my mobile when I log out. Since I don't remember enabling this feature (I believe it's a Yahoo! Messenger preference) I found it quite odd when my phone starting making noises... someone was sending me an IM.

As far as webcam goes, kopete does support it. I am not sure how to get the mic working.

Mike
        http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by jesar_gacula
          kopete have such features...?
          YES, assuming your webcam is supported - webcam support is not 100%, unfortunately.

Also, a friend who runs his laptop wirelessly reports that when I enable my webcam on Kopete and send him the video, his message and display bandwith goes way way down, so there's a caution for you.

Comment

Ei guys, thank you for all of your replies..now all I have to do is hook up my Eee PC with Kopete. Can anyone help me on hooking up Kopete on my Eee PC? I want it to be my default messenger both in "Full Desktop" and "Easy" mode.

Comment

Ei guys, thank you for all of your replies..now all I have to do is hook up my Eee PC with Kopete. Can anyone help me on hooking up Kopete on my Eee PC? I want it to be my default messenger both in "Full Desktop" and "Easy" mode.
              Kopete will happily handle message traffic with MSN and AIM users, to my knowledge. So, on your Kubuntu system you simply install the Kopete package with Adept Manager, and then you enter the msn or aim accounts of your friends into Kopete, and you go online and chat. Very simple, normally. Your friends will not have to do anything different on their end.

Comment

But how will I make it the default messenger on my Eee PC, both on "Full Desktop" and "Easy" mode..?

Comment

Does the Eee PC run Kubuntu? Or is it something else? I don't recognize "Full Desktop" and "Easy" as modes of Kubuntu.

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaa..I forgot, eeePC runs on Xandros!! I'm sorry..
                    Xandros though is Ubuntu at heart. I mean, it's like Kubuntu..
                    Ubuntu with K Desktop Environment. Xandros, on the other hand,
                    is Ubuntu with Xandros desktop environment (GNOME-based).

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaa..I forgot, eeePC runs on Xandros!!
                      Aha -- see how I weaseled out of helping you?

Seriously, Kopete is not a difficult or complicated package. If you chat a lot, just park it on your panel or taskbar after you have put your friends accounts in -- leave it run if you want to be interrupted.

Comment

Hehehe..!
                        I'm at the wrong place at the wrong time askin' these questions for my Eee PC.
                        I got used to ask for help here in 'kubuntuforums.net' whenever I encounter
                        problem/s in Kubuntu or Linux in general. Bwahahahaha!
                        Anyways, thanks to y'all guys!
                        Oh, by the way. I'll use Kopete on my Kubuntu PC once I have it fixed.
                        I still haven't resolved my problem on backing-up my files that were trapped
                        on my hard drive when my Kubuntu 'crashed' (or sort of..).

Comment

You might want to take a look at KMess:
                          KMess is an alternative MSN Messenger chat client for Linux. It allows Linux users to chat with friends who use MSN Messenger in Windows or Mac OS. The strength of KMess is it's integration with the KDE desktop environment, focus on MSN Messenger specific features and an easy-to-use interface.
                          It's available in Adept Manager for installation.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                            You might want to take a look at KMess:
                            KMESS don't do webcam, and I cannot find mic under kopete, sure I remember using it on kopete before I switched to ubuntu from debian.

Comment

Yeap, I don't remember ever using my cam & mic on KMess dude..
                              I guess I'll go with Kopete..but my problem now is.."How will I
                              setup/use the mic and cam on Kopete..?" and "Can it simulcast?"

Comment

Working...
                              X