Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need a firewall, antivirus and spyware software?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a firewall, antivirus and spyware software?

I running Fiesty Fawn and was wondering if I need to install Firestarter the firewall program and anything else . Since everything I download goes into my home directory, aren't I automatically protected from evil as long as I don't open anything questionable? Please advise? Thanks.

Re: Do I need a firewall, antivirus and spyware software?

av no, spyware no, firewall maybe, if you're using a router that's better and no need for firewall.
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Re: Do I need a firewall, antivirus and spyware software?

Kubuntu as shipped has no active servers, so no need for a firewall (nasty people cannot connect), If you start services such as ssh, cups server, smb etc. you may want to, though I tend to rely on my router and don't run any despite having a few services.

AV. Again, I don't, but if you are running a mailserver you may want to so lesser OSs will not get infected. Similarly, you could run one so any emails that have nasty attachments woiud be cleaned before you forwarded them. My view is that if someone is running such an OS, they deserve all they get.

Spyware, not seen any spyware that will run on Linux.

If you are worried something may get in, run a rootkit hunter. In Kubuntu there is 'chkrootkit' and 'rkhunter' They will run automatically and check to see if anything has got in. I did get one a few years ago when compiling something from source (from a non official download site) and next time I logged in I saw KDM had some extra users listed. So there is a danger, but not as bad as certain other operating systems.

Comment

Working...
      X