This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP is greyed out at add/remove programs

My nephew had Kubuntu 7.1 on a laptop and used GIMP to edit images. His HD died, I installed a new one and then used his CD to install Kubuntu again. His first question was where GIMP was. I connected to the internet and made sure the CD was a source for software, but I couldn't choose GIMP. The icon to add GIMP was greyed out.
    Do I need a special password? Or root access?

Re: GIMP is greyed out at add/remove programs

Couple of suggestions.

First, use Kmenu>System> Adept Manager, not "Add Programs" or whatever that other thing is.

Second, if you open Adept Manager, click "Adept > Manage Repositories" then you can click the "Third Party" tab, and un-X the "CD ROM" as a repository, that will stop it from demanding you insert the CD every time you want to add a package.

Then, with Adept Manager open you should be able to scroll down to Gimp, click the title to expand it, click "Install" and then the "Apply" button up on the top menu, and install it.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Then, with Adept Manager open you should be able to scroll down to Gimp, click the title to expand it, click "Install" and then the "Apply" button up on the top menu, and install it.

Hope this helps!
      Instead of scrolling down, in the search field type GIMP. That way only GIMP stuff will appear in the list.

Comment

+ you need root access to install but adept (or "add/remove programs") takes care of this when you start it up. You enter your password in that little dialogue box and after that you will run adept (or add/remove) with root authority.

Comment

you could in the terminal do sudo apt-get install gimp

Comment

Working...
          X