This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Kubuntu Live

I have two computers whose OS' are screwed up. I want to get a few files off of them before I wipe the hard drives, so I made a Kubuntu live disk. For both of those computers, they started booting Kubuntu, but they froze at some point during the process. I was able to boot using the disk on my current, functional computer, so I know that the disc is fine. Someone told me that some live disks actually depend on having another, functional OS underneath. Is this the case?
    If not, I'm wondering if the machines aren't up to spec. I think they meet the requirements, but is there an older, less resource-intensive version somewhere I can try?

-RdF

Re: Running Kubuntu Live

There are a number of things that could be causing this, a hardware problem, hardware recognition issues, a picky CD-drive or inadequate system resources among others...without more information it's almost impossible to say.

One thing you could try is a Live CD that is 'designed' for data recovery (like Knoppix) they usually get along better with older hardware, provide possibilities to boot into lighter desktops and include a larger variety of tools for data/system recovery. (Kubuntu LiveCD is primarily a 'preview/test CD', not a recovery tool...although it can be used as such.)

Comment

Working...
    X