• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolution Resets to 640X480

Kubuntu 7.10
    Nvidia Geforce MX 4000
    Envy installed.
    Monitor is Sony KDF60XBR950 (native resolution is 1366X788, 16:9) via DVI port.

Configured envy and got beautiful widescreen 1280 X 768 image.
    Next time I fire up computer I get a widescreen KUBUNTU and blue bar,
    lots of scroling text as the file system is checked, a widescreen Nvidia bug, and
    then a wide screen log-on screen.

Log on and immediately get 640X480 resolution. It is almost impossible
    to change the settings back to 1280X768 as the Nvidia Settings screen
    can't be expanded tall enough to uncover the screen resoultion settings
    drop down menu. Eventually restore the resolution to 1280X768 and write configuration
    to xorg.conf. Next reboot, same thing. Widescreen log-on and then 640X480...

How do I get 1280X768 to stick?
    What resolution is being used for the log-on screen?
    Why can't the log-on screen resolution be used for the KDE desktop?

I've tried eliminating 640X480 from the xorg.conf file but the TV still returns to 640X480 at
    every boot up.

Re: Resolution Resets to 640X480

Following a suggestion from a local Linux Guru, I tried addidng a new user account. Lo and behold when logging in as this new user the screen stays 1280.

Looking at the xorg.conf file shows no difference from the original. Therefore there must be another file someplace that "controls" what is displayed on the screen. What is this file called and where is it located?

Is it possible to "copy" user settings between accounts? If so how?

There does appear to be a slight difference in the screen size between the original user and the new user when set to the 1280 x 720 format. The new user 1280 overscans my TV set. Is there a way to shrink the desktop or move the menu bars up from the screen edges so they remain visible? How? Thanks

Comment

Re: Resolution Resets to 640X480 - FIXED!

Since no one bothered to respond to the post, I kept searching and finally saw a post today that "solved" the mystery.
      If changing xconf doesn't fix your problem, it's because there is a hidden file which
      actually sets the screen resolution.
      navigate to:

/home/username/.kde/share/config/displayconfigrc

Edit the file as root and change the vertical and horizontal settings to whatever
      your desired size should be. I reset mine to 720 and 1280 and the screen stayed big! yipee...

Now is there a way to slightly move the top menu bar and the bottom menu bar in from the screen edges?

Comment

Re: Resolution Resets to 640X480

I just went through the same thing with my install of K710 and a GeForce2 card. Found this in my search for an answer:

As of Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) the recommended way to install the binary driver is to open System Settings KMenu → System Settings, go to the Advanced tab and click Restricted Drivers. Then click the Administrator Mode button and check the box marked Enable to install the driver. This should install the right package for your card and set it up for you.

I don't know in your case whether you still have to go into xorg.conf and rename nv to nvidia in Device, then sudo nvidia-settings in Konsole. Adjust the resolution and Apply, then save to xorg.conf. Installing video drivers in Windows is certainly a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
        X