This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortcut for terminal in kate?

I use Kate in Kubuntu 7.10 and have enabled the terminal to be part of my kate document.

But is there someway to make a shortkey so I can switch between the editor and the terminal?

I have assigned Alt-1 to "hide terminal" so If I press Alt-1 twice the cursor in the terminal is enabled. But it would be nice if there was a function like "Next view" including the terminal.

Re: Shortcut for terminal in kate?

I assume you mean a terminal inside the Kate application window, right?

One of the best aspects about KDE applications is that most things can be customized so that you get it just the way you like it.

There is only one little problem in this explanation: my menus are norwegian and even though I will try to translate it back to english I may not be completely correct in naming menus and buttons in english.

With this little disclaimer, here is how to do it:
    On the top menu bar, go to Preferences>set up keyboard shortcuts...

In the keyboard shortcuts menu, you will be presented with a list of actions that you can assign short cuts to. Scroll down to Kate...show terminal (click that line). Below the action list you will find a dialogue for setting the shortcut button.

set the radio button switch to "Selected" and click the big blobby sign (supposed to look like a key on your keyboard or something) saying
    "none". When you do this, you will be presented with a popup where you can enter your own keyboard shortcut to open the terminal window in Kate.
    Select a key that has not previously been assigned as a shortcut, and off you go, just the way you like it.

Myself, I don't use these in-application-window terminals much, instead, I have put a global shortcut to open a konsole window on F12, so every time I need a terminal I just F12 and go to where I need to go to do. You choice that's KDE!

Comment

Working...
    X