This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons on desktop

Simple question - does anybody know how I can get the "standard" icons on my Kubuntu desktop? Icons like "My Computer" , etc etc? I've done it once on Ubuntu, but KDE is a wee bit different to Gnome.....

EDIT : another thing......whenever I insert a DVD into my DVD reader....the only way I can eject the disc is by right clicking on the disk on my desktop, then selecting "eject".... Is there something I can setup so that I can just hit the eject button on my DVD reader itself?

Re: Icons on desktop

Right click on program from Kmenu ===> add to desktop. Make sure Desktop config allows this - right click on desktop - config desktop

cakurk

Comment

Thanks ..... that wasn't exactly what I was looking for......but still helped out a lot...thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphA
        EDIT : another thing......whenever I insert a DVD into my DVD reader....the only way I can eject the disc is by right clicking on the disk on my desktop, then selecting "eject".... Is there something I can setup  so that I can just hit the eject button on my DVD reader itself?
        AFAIK that's a safety feature so that you don't accidentally remove a mounted filesystem, if the DVD is not mounted the eject button should work normally.

Comment

Originally posted by cakurk
          Right click on program from Kmenu ===> add to desktop. Make sure Desktop config allows this - right click on desktop - config desktop

cakurk
          How would you get the Home Icon on the desktop I have gone to the system on the task bar but it will not let me right click it. Any Ideas?

Thanks for all your help!

dice

Comment

Originally posted by dice81
            How would you get the Home Icon on the desktop I have gone to the system on the task bar but it will not let me right click it.  Any Ideas?
            One way is to drag and drop your home folder from konqueror to the desktop and choose 'link here'

Comment

How do I get to be like Redhat or somthing else that has a Home Icon on the desktop without a shortcut arrow.

Any Ideas?

Dice

Comment

whenever I insert a DVD into my DVD reader....the only way I can eject the disc is by right clicking on the disk on my desktop, then selecting "eject".... Is there something I can setup so that I can just hit the eject button on my DVD reader itself?
                Code:
                sudo sh -c 'echo "dev.cdrom.lock=0" >> /etc/sysctl.conf'

Comment

Originally posted by dice81
                  How do I get to be like Redhat or somthing else that has a Home Icon on the desktop without a shortcut arrow. 
                  1. Right-click on the desktop
                  2. Choose Create New|Link to Location (URL)
                  3. For the URL, choose /home/USERNAME
                  4. When the link is created, you can choose the icon you want in it's properties

Comment

Thank You! I am very happy now. I have my Stinkin Home Icon. LOL

Thanks for your help,

Dice

Comment

Originally posted by prozac_field
                      whenever I insert a DVD into my DVD reader....the only way I can eject the disc is by right clicking on the disk on my desktop, then selecting "eject".... Is there something I can setup so that I can just hit the eject button on my DVD reader itself?
                      Code:
                      sudo sh -c 'echo "dev.cdrom.lock=0" >> /etc/sysctl.conf'
                      Thanks for all the responses guys.....will try the above solution as soon as I get back behind that PC of mine and let you know if it worked.

lol @ Dice

Comment

Working...
                      X