Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble Setting up Kubuntu/XP dual boot...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble Setting up Kubuntu/XP dual boot...

I am really new to Unix in general, but I'm great with DOS and Windows. I am a technical support representative for a publishing company, and need to start familiarizing myself with Unix.

Here's my problem:

I recently repartitioned and quick-formatted my 250gb HDD. I used 175GB for an NTFS WinXP installation and left the rest unpartitioned. My machine also has a 200gb slave-drive. Windows is up and running...but I can't seem to get Kubuntu to install or even load.

When I boot to the Kubuntu 7.1 CD-ROM I get the main menu and choose to install. I then receive the nifty Kubuntu screen where it appears to scan my hardware configuration for a few moments. Afterwards, it begins to cycle through errors.

Each one reads:

Buffer I/O error on device hdd: Logical block XXXXXX

This process seems to repeat indefinitely. My assumption is that it is scanning the secondary Hard Disk on my machine. Do I need to disconnect it and run the installation, or have I missed an important step somewhere?

Re: Trouble Setting up Kubuntu/XP dual boot...

The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sounds like you might be a candidate for a GParted Live CD, with which to take a look at that hard drive. Get it here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=173828

Note -- get the -10 version. There are reports of bugs with the new -11. You might just set the partitions, and format them ext3 with that CD, then try the Kubuntu 7.10 Alternate Install CD.

Also, take a look in your BIOS at the hdd "modes". You don't say whether it is PATA or SATA, but each one has multiple modes and Linux likes some better than others. For examply, mine likes the SATA drives set to "AHCI" rather than the other options.

Comment

I disconnected the other drive which made no difference. I will probably have to check out that Alternate Install CD.

Should I go back and unpartition the drive so that all 250GB of space are NTFS formatted as my main Windows C:\? Also, these are not SATA drives as the machine I'm performing this setup on is my old school AMD Athlon XP2100+ on an ASUS A7V333 motherboard.

Here's more detail of what text I see repeating on my screen in case it helps:

[ XXX.XXXXX] hdd: error code: 0x70 sense_key: 0x03 asc 0x15 ascq 0x00
        [ XXX.XXXXX] Buffer I/O error on device hdd: Logical block XXXXXX

Much appreciated! I can't wait for the day when I can start giving back to the forums!!!

Comment

hdd: error code: 0x70

Sure sounds like a problem with your hard drive.
          Like a bad sector or some other damage.
          Look into this using documentation/website of your hard drive manufacturer. The maker may have software tools to fix it, but first =>

make a back-up of any of your data,

and I'd do that soon, just in case it is a hard drive problem (e.g., bad sector problems don't get better! they usually get worse); if it is a bad sector thing, HDD software may be able to re-allocate the bad space.
          And/or, you can first run a diagnostic program on it (e.g., Seagate has SeaTools CD), and again back up any important data. Look up error codes for your drive.

That's my opinion, just reading this as you've described it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the input Qqmike and Dibl!

I d/led the Alternate Install CD and that cured all my issues. I'm actually posting this via FireFox in Kubuntu! I even figured out how to install FF without any walk-through, FAQ, or help from friends!

I think the issue was that 1) There was nothing to point the installer to the unpartitioned space and 2) I did not edit my MBR or anything of the sort.

The install ran perfectly and I got my swap and Linux partitions setup without a hitch.

I appreciate the help!

Comment

Wow! That's great and quite a relief. Bad sectors, you don't need, as ominous as they can be. Great work, glad you got set up, and really glad to have the wrong hunch this time
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by basilray

I d/led the Alternate Install CD and that cured all my issues. I'm actually posting this via FireFox in Kubuntu! I even figured out how to install FF without any walk-through, FAQ, or help from friends!
                Excellent news -- welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
                X