X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Vaio VGN AR41M Raid problem

Hi

Hoping some one can help me out, my laptop has a hardware raid, it's basically got two 100gb drives and they appear in windows as one 200gb drive, there are no settings to change this in windows or bios.

When I try to install Kubuntu it basically hangs and I think it's this raid config that's causing me the problem.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Re: Sony Vaio VGN AR41M Raid problem

Those hardware raid chips don't have Linux drivers, for the most part, so you can't use 'em. There is a RAID capability in Linux called "software RAID" or "dmraid", but I don't know anything about it. What capability was your RAID intended to achieve? Maybe there are other ways to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Those hardware raid chips don't have Linux drivers, for the most part, so you can't use 'em. There is a RAID capability in Linux called "software RAID" or "dmraid", but I don't know anything about it. What capability was your RAID intended to achieve? Maybe there are other ways to do that.
      Hi

Thanks for you response, the RAID as far as I'm a wear is just to make two drives into one big one, it came straight from Sony that way.

Comment

You can contact Sony and seek assistance on whether/if it is possible in your laptop to disable the drive joining so that it can be seen as two separate HDs.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X