X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD Mounted, But No Access

Hello All,

Well, I have successfully installed, formatted / partitioned and mounted my SATA drive which I am going to use as a backup for my files....not bad for a new Linux guy.

I have edited fstab, but I must be missing one little setting, since I am receiving an: "Access Denied, Could Not Write To..." error when trying to write to the hdd.

I believe the hdd is mounted correctly because it is showing as enabled within Disk & Filesystems, and the lost+found folder is visible in the directory where the hdd is to be mounted.

Here are some of the lines I have used in fstab to try to obtain access, but with no luck. And yes, I always comment-out the additional lines, I have just been commenting out back and forth between the lines trying to get things to work.

I am sure it is an easy one, but it has me stumped:

Code:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 defaults 0 0
    #/dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 user,sync,auto,rw,dev,exec 0 0 
    #/dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 user,sync,auto,rw,dev,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
    Also, after fstab is edited and saved, when a person refreshes Konq, is that enough to see the changes take effect? I did not think you would have to restart X, or reboot the system. Is that pretty much how Linux reacts to most changes when using the terminal?

Thanks in advance!

Timo
    kubuntu 8.04 ~ 64bit<br />Pentium D ~ 3.4gig<br />4gig RAM<br />160gig HDD ~ x2<br />19&quot; Widescreen<br /><br />&quot;I must be a nice guy..........I always seem to finish last.&quot;

Re: HDD Mounted, But No Access

The 0 0 at the end of the line is incorrect. 0 0 is used only for the proc entry, swap, cdrom/dvds, and floppy drives. Your root ( / ) partition is/should show 0 1. All other entries should have 0 2.

Is sdb1 actually formated as ext3?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I used Partition Editor and set the 2nd hdd as ext3 since that is the native file system, from my understanding. I double checked the ext3 setting within the Disk & Filesystem gui and it reports the type correctly.

The hdd auto mounts successfully after rebooting, which is good, so I know some of the entry for the hdd is working OK.

Thanks for noticing the incorrect 0 0 information. I have made changes to the entries for the hdd, but the original problem still exists.

Code:
      proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # Entry for /dev/sda1 :
      /dev/sda1 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1

# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
      UUID=8c5c98e5-7fcb-45b0-b23b-c842d06707cf none swap sw 0 0

# Entry for /dev/media/cdrom0 :
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

# Entry for /dev/media/backup2 :
      /dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 defaults 0 2
      #/dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 user,sync,auto,rw,dev,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
      #/dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 user,sync,auto,rw,dev,exec 0 2
      The spaces between entries were added for your ease of viewing, my fstab is not really that way.
      kubuntu 8.04 ~ 64bit<br />Pentium D ~ 3.4gig<br />4gig RAM<br />160gig HDD ~ x2<br />19&quot; Widescreen<br /><br />&quot;I must be a nice guy..........I always seem to finish last.&quot;

Comment

Internal HD or external (USB)?

Comment

Ho, sorry. It is a new internal WD 160gig 300 SATA.

The main hdd is exactly the same.

Comment

Almost to 'obvious' but, since you made the changes to the fstab file, have you restarted your system??

Comment

The most I have done after any changes to fstab was to do a soft-reboot, [I am still not sure if that was even needed], and I just finished with a hard-reboot but there was no change.

I am able to sudo mount & umount the media/backup2 location just fine [I can see the lost+found folder appear and disappear], and I have tried to copy and/or move different files, but still nothing.

Just an fyi, the system mounts & umounts my thumb drive and iPod as expected.

Comment

Open a console and type:
                Code:
                cat /etc/mtab
                and copy/paste the output. Something just isn't right. Two internal SATA HDs and Gutsy is denying you access as normal user to the second drive.

Comment

The cat /etc/mtab command is new to me.......interesting.

Here are the results:

Code:
                  tim@kubuntu:~$ cat /etc/mtab
                  /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
                  proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  /sys /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
                  varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755 0 0
                  varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
                  udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
                  devshm /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
                  devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
                  lrm /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/volatile tmpfs rw 0 0
                  securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/sdb1 /media/backup2 ext3 rw 0 0
                  tim@kubuntu:~$
                  Thanks for the continued help.

Comment

You do belong to the admin group, yes? Open a console and type:
                    Code:
                    groups
                    This is my output:
                    paul adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
                    paul is my user name.

Comment

Yes, I am part of the admin group, my name is tim.

Code:
                      tim@kubuntu:~$ groups
                      tim adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner lpadmin admin netdev powerdev
                      tim@kubuntu:~$
                      Seems as though we have the same output.

Comment

Working...
                      X