This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solved: Kmenu keyboard shortcut using Windows key - problem

Under keyboard shortcuts in Kcontrol, I am trying to change (or add as an alternate, preferrably) the Popup Launch Menu (kmenu) shortcut to use the Windows key. However, when I press this key to specify it, it doesn't stick and as soon as I let go the field is empty. I've also tried to hold the Win key and then click Save, but that doesn't work either.

This seems pretty basic, so I don't know why this doesn't work. Is there another way of doing this?

Re: Kmenu keyboard shortcut using Windows key - problem

I believe that the windows key is used similar to 'Shift' or 'Ctrl'. It is a modifier key which requires another key to perform an action. I can access the kmenu with Ctrl-Esc, just as in windows.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

The solution is simple. When you have clicked on the Popup Launch Menu, under Shortcut for Selected Action click Custom. This opens another window. Click Alternate shortcut and then just press the Windows key and click on Ok and then Apply. That's it!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        The solution is simple. When you have clicked on the Popup Launch Menu, under Shortcut for Selected Action click Custom. This opens another window. Click Alternate shortcut and then just press the Windows key and click on Ok and then Apply. That's it!
        That's what I'm saying, Snowhog, that method does not work. But it seems like it should.

Comment

I posted the 'solution' because I did it, and it does work. I set my Windows key to be the Popup Launch Menu and it did just that - opened K Menu with a single push of the Windows key. It stayed open until I pressed the Windows key again.

Comment

I posted the 'solution' because I did it, and it does work. I set my Windows key to be the Popup Launch Menu and it did just that - opened K Menu with a single push of the Windows key. It stayed open until I pressed the Windows key again.
            Hm. That's exactly what I'm doing. But the Win key (text) disappears when I let go. And if I hold the Win key and press Save, it doesn't set either.

Comment

Okay. I just did it again. When you've selected Custom and you are presented with the next window and you check Alternate and then press the Window key, the window closes and you are back at the first screen. Note that the button now shows Alt+F1;Multi_key
              Now just click on Apply and close the window. Then test by pressing the Windows key. As I said, it works for me.

Comment

Okay. I just did it again. When you've selected Custom and you are presented with the next window and you check Alternate and then press the Window key, the window closes and you are back at the first screen.
                This and everything after it doesn't happen for me. After I press the Windows key, "Win+" appears briefly in the Alternate shortcut field, then when I let go of the Windows key, it disappears.

Comment

Are you running Gutsy, or an earlier version?? This is what the display screen looks like after my steps to set the Windows key as described:

Attached Files

Comment

I believe you! lol It just isn't working for me.

I am running Gutsy.

Comment

You might go through these steps:

Open kcontrol (Alt+F2 and type kcontrol)
                      Click on Regional & Accessibility
                      Click on Keyboard Layout
                      Click the Xkb Options tab
                      Check the Enable xkb options box
                      Scroll down the list and check the Compose Key Position box
                      Select the key you want to be used as the Compose key by unselecting the rest
                      Click Apply
                      Press Ctrl+Alt+BkSp to restart

This is the only 'other' thing I did, and it was not related to your issue, a few days back in order to get accented (cedillia) characters to work for another member. Do the above, and then go through the steps I outlined for setting the Windows key for the popup.

Comment

that did it! thanks Snow!

Comment

Re: solved: Kmenu keyboard shortcut using Windows key - problem

You're very welcome. Glad that I could be of assistance.

Comment

Re: solved: Kmenu keyboard shortcut using Windows key - problem

I tried doing what snowhog suggested, but it didn't work at first

Open kcontrol (Alt+F2 and type kcontrol)
                            Click on Regional & Accessibility
                            Click on Keyboard Layout
                            Click the Xkb Options tab
                            Check the Enable xkb options box
                            Scroll down the list and check the Compose Key Position box
                            Select the key you want to be used as the Compose key by unselecting the rest
                            Click Apply
                            At this stage got a permissions error saying it couldn't write to the configuration file in my home directory but with the knowledge from the issue I was having with dolphin, I used these commands to give me permission.

Code:
                            cd /home
                            sudo chown -R username:username username
                            Just replace 'username' with your own

I was able to continue with the rest of the process and it is now functioning fine.

Thanks Snowhog

Comment

Working...
                            X