Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kubuntu install damaged? help required . . . .

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu install damaged? help required . . . .

I'm not sure how but I seem to have damaged my Kubuntu install. (PC has been left on for several days in Kubuntu while I, uh, explored)
    On a shutdown and reboot (so windoze could phone home for up-dates) grub presented me with with four Kubuntu options

2.6.12-10-386 and 2.6.12-9-386 with backup options for each

Both main options have same result. Kubuntu sort of comes up but with an error window stating:

"The application unknown (kdmgreet) crashed and caused signal 11 (SIGSEGV) ......"
    then it backs itself out to a basic command line screen in ubuntu. The recover options of each cut to the chase and go directly to command line screen.

At this point I'm lost, it seems to be in bash which I am somewhat familiar with, but I have no clue on how to fix problem ( I donot know where kdmgreet should be, if that is indeed what causes problem)

How do I resurrect Kubuntu?
    cakurk

Re: kubuntu install damaged? help required . . . .

When you see the black screen with the Bash prompt just type: startx That may solve your problem or it may give you another segfault. If you get a different message we might learn something.

Comment

Re: kubuntu install damaged? help required . . . .

Thank you again, askreiger. This time I cannot try your suggestion since I already stumbled into a solution - sudo apt-get upgrade, which I tried out a sense of adventure & desperation.

Startx is now on my growing list of commands, however

cakurk

Comment

Working...
      X