This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible without internet?

Is it really possible to do a decent Kubuntu install and run a linux system without the internet??

I don't really want my laptop having access to the internet, for several reasons aswell as my modem isnt supported under Kubuntu..

I've downloaded the liveCD and had a play around with that, but i found it to be very minimal, apps such as gcc were not installed. Is it just the liveCD that has few apps? does the install version come with other tools like ssh,gcc,javac??

Going back to the internet point it isnt really possible to connect my laptop to the net, so how will i go about downloading packages and stuff? I know i can download the source files or the .deb files. However when i tried to compile a source file for fluxbox while running the liveCD, it wouldnt compile as i needed gcc, awt and other programs.

Thanks for any help

Re: possible without internet?

The cd version is the start point. It has the essentials (one cd - no room). I'm not sure about the dvd version.

http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php :
    "The DVDs are combined live and install."
    D'oh - nothing more ??

It is possible to download stuff from repositories and make local repository: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...g-scanpackages

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yeah the DVD version just contains the install and the liveCD on one disk..

Using local repositories is an option i guess. I dunno, i'm just not to sure whether Linux is a viable option without the internet, the whole of the operating system seems to be based around apt-get and the adept system. I've got a feeling it might just be to much effort trying to maintain the system, if im going to have to go online and find every single little package i need just to do a simple task, then have to go a really long winded way of installing it.

Someone please prove me wrong, because i really want to start using Linux on my laptop, to build on my previous knowledge off *nix.

Comment

I have to agree with the last post, if you are using this as a word processer than maybe, but other than that I dont know,

Dice

Comment

Installing compilers like gcc and g++ is not possible without internet as you hav to build essential packages using

Code:
          sudo apt-get install build-essential

Comment

Yes, it is possible to use (and maintain) Linux without internet connection. You just choose Linux distribution that has everything nessesary (for you) in start package. There are +300 (? - read this from a computer mag) different distributions.

Examples:
            Fedora comes with 4 cd's (+ 4 source cd).
            http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/4/i386/iso/
            Mandriva has 2 dvd's.
            http://store.mandriva.com/product_in...6b59e58e751023

From build-essential:

informational list of build-essential packages

If you do not plan to build Debian packages, you don't need this package. Moreover this package is not required for building Debian packages.

This package contains an informational list of packages which are considered essential for building Debian packages. This package also depends on the packages on that list, to make it easy to have the build-essential packages installed.

If you have this package installed, you only need to install whatever a package specifies as its build-time dependencies to build the package. Conversely, if you are determining what your package needs to build-depend on, you can always leave out the packages this package depends on.

This package is NOT the definition of what packages are
            build-essential; the real definition is in the Debian Policy Manual.

This package contains merely an informational list, which is all most people need. However, if this package and the manual disagree, the manual is correct.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by adam_hirst

Using local repositories is an option i guess. I dunno, i'm just not to sure whether Linux is a viable option without the internet, the whole of the operating system seems to be based around apt-get and the adept system. I've got a feeling it might just be to much effort trying to maintain the system, if im going to have to go online and find every single little package i need just to do a simple task, then have to go a really long winded way of installing it.

Someone please prove me wrong, because i really want to start using Linux on my laptop, to build on my previous knowledge off *nix.
              Nowadays, maintaining any operating system requires internet access, not just Linux. Sure - you could start out with a wham bang install of Kubuntu with all the bells and whistles, but what you see is what you got. It would be a royal pain in the butt to keep up with Kubuntu or any OS without net access. That's just my opinion but I believe most users would likewise agree.

Regards and good luck.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I understand the need for internet for building packages, and hey if i could get internet working debian is such an easy system to install things. One line at the command interface will do everything for you.

I'm not to sure whether my internal network card on my laptop is supported under Kubuntu? But i'm guessing it should be. I think an option i might need to do is purchase a Router, (it would need VPN support tho, as that's how i connect to the internet) and plug my desktop machine and the laptop into the router. Would this be an easy option? or do routers contain windoze drivers and stuff for the machines to work on them??

Sorry for some newb questions. Just want to try and plan everything out.

Comment

In general routers connect to your internal lan through ethernet and/or wireless 802.11(?) and connect to the outside world with IP. I think you'll be able to find one that supports VPN because that's pretty common nowadays.

Your internal network may be more of a problem, though. Just about all internal ethernet Network Interface Cards are supported. But, most wireless cards are proprietary and the manufacturers haven't felt the need to publish their interfaces so that linux gurus can write drivers for them. The alternative is to use the windows driver through ndiswrapper.

Comment

What are you connecting to on the other side of the VPN, do you know? because you can always get a Linksys VPN routerhttp://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=252211
                    But the problem is, is it compatible with the other side of the VPN, do you use a VPN client? if so which one. Cisco, Netscreen, Fortinet, Sonicwall, etc. And if you are going to get the router you will need to get all the setting from your Network Admin, RemoteGateway, Preshared Key, Perposal info, all that stuff. It would be better in the long run but kinda a pain in the beginning.

Dice

Comment

Hmm well after having a discussion with a friend who knows about his networking, im not to sure what my options are. My current internet access is through a standard network socket on my wall, plugged into my network card. I then dial up a VPN connection to the university computers.

I was considering buying an ADSL router as i thought it would be the perfect way to share the connection between the two boxes. But it wouldnt be possible to plug an ADSL modem into a network socket? In this case im not to sure what my options are. My friend mentioned something about switches? but i thought these just connected segements of a network together.

Comment

That's exactly what they do. You can think of your home as having a subnet consisting of two computers, your desktop and your laptop attached to an ethernet switch which you attach to the wall. The complication is that you don't want to bother the university with giving you two inet addresses etc., so you want a switch that does network address translation and either assigns your two computers, static addresses or dynamic address leases. Look on ebay for a switch that has NAT and DHCP

Comment

Thank you for the post. I've just managed to get my network card working with Kubuntu, so getting the internet on the machine is even more of an option. Especially now i understand the hardware i need to get.

Comment

Working...
                          X