This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

files sharing , help plz

ok well out of the box, samba found my local network, I can browse all shares, Ican even see all my mp3's, docs, pdfs etc.... I can copy them to my linux desktop and open them locally.

the issue at hand is, when I browse a share and click on an .xls file to open it remotely, opeoffice starts up but the file does not. Is there soething more I need to do to open a file fro ma remotley shared directoy.

the files I'm browsing are on a winxp fornmatted ntfs. any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: files sharing , help plz

OpenOffice doesn't recognise the "special" addresses that Konqueror uses, like smb:/, media:/ and system:/.

In the case of system:/ and media:/, it's easily enough solved by browsing to the equivalent local directory. For Samba, it's a little more involved... I see two options:

1) Copy the file across the network, and open it locally, as you have done already

2) Set up a mount for the Samba share, mount it, and then it behaves like a local directory.

I'd dig around for information on the second, if you don't want to copy the files over.

Comment

Re: files sharing , help plz

yeah I think I'll look into mounting the share

Comment

Working...
      X