This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COMPIZ FUSION HELP!!!!

I am running kubuntu 7.10 and i was wondering how to install compiz fusion so i can get the wobbly windows and cude desktop.
    so far i have tried alot of things and i havent gotten those features. Can anyone help me?
    Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Re: COMPIZ FUSION HELP!!!!

First, open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and check that the following packages are installed:

compiz-core
    compiz-fusion-plugins-main
    compiz-kde
    compiz-plugins
    compizconfig-settings-manager
    emerald

If any are not installed, install them.

Post back.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok...all of them are installed
      but when i open the theme manager and download a theme
      and i compiz --replace it, it stays the same
      also my compizconfig settings manager doesnt open (it opens for a split second and closes)
      Kubuntu 8.04 <br />Dual-Boot w/ XP<br />Intel Core 2 Duo E6500<br />nVidia 8400GS 256mb<br />2GB DDR2<br />Ubuntu User #21847<br />Linux User #467409

Comment

also when i uninstalled it and reinstalled it, it didnt show up in the settings menu

Comment

What video card do you have? Does it support 3D? Open a console and type:
          Code:
          glxgears
          Do you see a window with three, colored spinning gears?

Comment

this is what i got
            Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
            Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

and when i open the window i just saw an outline for like 0.1 milliseconds and then it was gone

Comment

So, again, then, what video card do you have?

Comment

sry... i have an NVIDIA GeForce 8400
                I believe i know that i have an 8400 tho

Comment

You need to ensure that you have the correct driver installed for your nVidia card. Check out dibl's HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers

Comment

When I tried installing it using gdebi it gave me something saying please insert Kubuntu 7.10_Gusty Gibbon_-Release i386(20071016.1) in the cd rom drive

and then it said that it could not download the required fields

Comment

When I tried installing it using gdebi it gave me something saying please insert Kubuntu 7.10_Gusty Gibbon_-Release i386(20071016.1) in the cd rom drive
                      Try commenting out the cd line in /etc/apt/sources.list as superuser (sudo).

do alt+F2 type kdesudo kate (or kdesu kate)->give you password and open the above.
                      Now edit so the cd lines look like this:
                      # deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.2)]/ gutsy main restricted

# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071016.2)]/ gutsy main restricted
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have a nvidia 8400GS installed and Gutsy 7.10 picked the proprietary driver with no hassles.

Upon installation of said drivers and a restart performed, I went to the terminal (Konsole) and typed:

Code:
                        kdesu nvidia-settings
                        This is a control panel simimilar to that which you get in windows distributions. I changed my screen resolution e.t.c and using this tool saved the information to the xorg.conf file.

I then restarted my x-server by pressing ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE.

I then proceeded back to the terminal again and typed:

Code:
                        glxinfo | grep direct
                        This told me that it was using direct rendering.glxgears now to test for speed

Code:
                        glxgears
                        I then visited this web address:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...r/CompizFusion

And the rest was sorted from there.

If you are having problems getting this sorted please post your lspci output and xorg.conf file so that the peeps on here can take a look and be possibly able to advise you further.

for your lspci output, open a console and type:

Code:
                        lspci
                        for your xorg.conf file, within the console, type:

Code:
                        sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                        you will need to do this if you are to edit its contents but be warned, backup the contents just incase the changes you make, mess things up.

I hope this helps

Comment

i did what SpikoPath and Fintan said. And now i have compiz fusion running i think. Also when i run glxgears it gives me a window with three colored spinning gears. But when i do CTRL+ALT+RIGHTBUTTON it just goes to a different screen it doesnt show a cube. what do it do?

this is my lspci for SpikoPath's request:
                          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
                          00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
                          00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
                          00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
                          00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
                          00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
                          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
                          00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
                          00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
                          00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                          00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
                          00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
                          00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
                          00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
                          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
                          00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
                          00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
                          00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
                          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400 GS (rev a1)
                          03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
                          03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
                          04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

and my xorg.conf file:
                          # xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
                          #
                          # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
                          # values from the debconf database.
                          #
                          # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
                          # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
                          #
                          # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
                          # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
                          # package.
                          #
                          # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
                          # again, run the following command:
                          # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
                          EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                          Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
                          Driver "kbd"
                          Option "CoreKeyboard"
                          Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
                          Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
                          Option "XkbLayout" "us"
                          EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                          Identifier "Configured Mouse"
                          Driver "mouse"
                          Option "CorePointer"
                          Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                          Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
                          Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                          Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
                          EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                          Driver "wacom"
                          Identifier "stylus"
                          Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
                          Option "Type" "stylus"
                          Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
                          EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                          Driver "wacom"
                          Identifier "eraser"
                          Option "Type" "eraser"
                          EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                          Driver "wacom"
                          Identifier "cursor"
                          Option "Type" "cursor"
                          EndSection

Section "Device"
                          Identifier "nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8400 GS]"
                          Driver "nvidia"
                          Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
                          Videoram 256
                          Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
                          Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                          Option "NoLogo" "True"
                          EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                          Identifier "VX2255wm-2"
                          Option "DPMS"
                          Horizsync 24-82
                          Vertrefresh 50-75
                          EndSection

Section "Screen"
                          Identifier "Default Screen"
                          Device "nVidia Corporation G80 [GeForce 8400 GS]"
                          Monitor "VX2255wm-2"
                          Defaultdepth 24
                          SubSection "Display"
                          Modes "1680x1050" "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                          EndSubSection
                          Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                          EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
                          Identifier "Default Layout"
                          screen "Default Screen"
                          Inputdevice "Generic Keyboard"
                          Inputdevice "Configured Mouse"

# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
                          # InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
                          # InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
                          # InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
                          EndSection
                          Section "Extensions"
                          Option "Composite" "Enable"
                          EndSection
                          Section "Module"
                          Load "glx"
                          EndSection

Comment

i do have some sort of a cube it is not a real cube but it has one desktop on the back of another

Comment

also when i open a maximized window i cannot see the minimize maximize and close bar at the top

Comment

Working...
                              X