X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help installing using apt get

Hello everyone,

I am new to Kubuntu, though I've used Linux before. I am having trouble installing some packages using sudo apt-get.

I want to install firefox, the text editor yudit and gaim messenger. Now, I was able to install these packages on another Kubuntu installation by simply typing "sudo apt-get install firefox" and "sudo apt-get install yudit". However, on another installation made from the same installation media, these commands only report that either those packages can't be found, or have no release candidate. Nor can they be installed by synaptic or adept. In the adept package manager I can only find firefox, but it's installation icon is disabled for some reason. yudit I can't find anywhere, I'm guessing there's something wrong with my installation sources, but I've checked both installations, are they both have the same repositories selected.
    What can I do? Is there an alternate way to install programs on Kubuntu that is not by downloading them using apt-get? Like, maybe downloading the .debs themselves? Thanks for any advice.

Re: Help installing using apt get

I'll assume you installed Gutsy 7.10 from a LiveCD. If so, then:
    Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
    X