This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept hung up with broken package

Adept has a broken package (mozzilla thunderbird enigmail) which it cannot/will not remove. Hence it will not install anything else either. How do I get rid of this so I can get adept back to useable state>

Re: Adept hung up with broken package

Use Synaptic! That's not a facetious suggestion. Synaptic is safer than Adept and works well in Kubuntu even thoujgh it's a Gnome package. So, first install Synaptic. Left click on the panel icon that looks like a miniature CRT. This will launch a program called konsole, which gives you access to the command line. Type "sudo apt-get install synaptic". Enter your password. when apt-get starts up, you'll see some lines of print fly by. When they stop,you will probably be asked to answer yes or no. If you answer yes, there will be some more lines flying by, possibly quite a few if this is the first gnome program you've installed. Hang in there, because at the end, Synaptic will be installed.

Close the konsole, if you don't keep one open all the time. Left click on the K program launcher at the left end of the panel. Click on System (NOT System Settings) at the bottom of the new menu you should see Synaptic. Enter your password again. Hit return. In synaptic, click on the reload button. When the action stops, look at the bottom of the left column. You will see four buttons. Click on "Custom". Now on the top of the left column you will see 6 entries. One of them is "broken". Select that. The broken package should appear in the right panel. Remove it.

Now, you're set to install. Have fun.

Comment

Re: Adept hung up with broken package

Thanks for the info on Synaptic. I'll probably try it - I have tried Kynaptic on another distro.
      I did manage to recover adept using apt-get -f install after reading another un-related post, that didn't mention adept.

many thanks
      cakurk

Comment

Working...
      X