Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, any SIMPLE way to save all my program/desktop settings?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, any SIMPLE way to save all my program/desktop settings?

Hi,

I had a quick look at the "... Millionth Backup Question..." thread and from what I can see it appears that the only way to retain all of the settings for the desktop and all apps is to copy the contents of the /home/username/ folder somewhere safe...

Is this correct?

If you do this and then do a clean install of Kubuntu, is it a simple matter to copy the saved folder back over the newly installed /home/username/ folder?

Are there any utils out there to simplify the process?

Seems a bit daft not to have at least an option within KDE to export setting to a file, or better still something like the XP "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".

I know I keep banging on about "like Windows does...", but that's because some of the things XP can do are bloody useful and well thought out...

Am I dreaming again?!? :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

Re: Okay, any SIMPLE way to save all my program/desktop settings?

Only a partial answer (--wait for the real back-up guys):

Partimage is such a utility (free); it is also on several other rescue disks (GParted, System Rescue, & others).

The dd command from a Live Helix CD would copy every single byte for you, but it's a manual thing at the command line (I have a How-To on it here: dd Command).

From my limited experience, I believe the answer to your question is Yes. Yes, you can simply restore the /home/your_name partition. Likewise, if your root partition goes out, you can restore it, and in my experience, it will reconnect with the /home partition. (In fact, I make an image back-up of my root partition, say in sdb2, and place it in my personal home partition, say in sdb6, as a back up; and I've tested that to know it works. I used dd command.)

Partimage seems to be a forerunner in this game.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If copy/paste is not simple enough I can't imagine what is
      Why not archive your ~ in a CD or something?
      Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

If you have a separate /home partition then you are already halfway there.
        If not there are plenty of how-tos on that subject in these forums.

I have to agree with gediminas2.

What is difficult about copy/paste? Or archiving on a CD/DVD once a month, whatever?
        As long as you don't do it as root that is
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I'm not very expert on this, for sure, but copy/paste will not get every single byte; and copy/paste is a filesystem thing. Whereas something like dd or its DoD version, does copy byte-by-byte, a perfect image. Partimage does not use dd. GParted does use dd to copy. Seems copy/paste is ok for some user data files, but for those dot-configuration files, wouldn't something else be better/safer?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            If you have a separate /home partition then you are already halfway there.
            Amen.

With a seperate /home folder there is no need to copy anything when reinstalling. You simply do your new install over the old root folder, use a few apt commands to install a few apps, and you are ready to go again settings and files intact.

Comment

I have used 'rsync' in the past to backup my home directory to a portable USB drive or over the network. If you have another location on your computer that is "safe" you can use rsync

Code:
              rsync -av source/ destination/
              I just completed a script yesterday to run automatic backups to my external USB hard drive. Very useful.

Mike
              http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi,

I have my home directory on the same partition as everything else...

I was wanting to save the setting, so I could transfer them to another machine...

When you say 'copy and paste' surely all the settings are not stored in a single config file?

Also, what is "~"? Remember, you're talking to a newbie here! :-)

Mike.

Comment

"~" is short notation for 'users home directory.' For illustration, my user name is paul. My home directory is therefore, /home/paul on the system. When I open a console shell, this is the prompt I'm presented with: paul@laptop:~$ (note the ~ here). But if I type pwd (print working directory) from this prompt, this is what I get:
                  paul@laptop:~$ pwd
                  /home/paul

Hope this helps.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Very short, Where is:

Most KDE settings are in the ~/.kde but some are in the ~/.config (kmenuedit- etc). Program settings could also be in the ~/. :

~/.mozilla
                    ~/.strigi
                    ~/.wine
                    ~/.mplayer
                    ~/.xine
                    ~/.vlc
                    and so on...

Note
                    Only those settings that don't need root rights are in the users home folder. System Settings + Administrator Mode => settings are probably in the /etc/ directory tree...

Note #2
                    . (dot) before file or folder name makes those folders/files hidden. Konqueror/Dolphin -> "Show Hidden Files".

If you want to move only KDE look. You could use kde theme manager and "Create New Theme"/"Install New Theme"

Press Alt + F2 type kcontrol > Control Centre /1/ > Appearance & Themes > Theme Manager > Create New Theme > Ok >

Theme Created - notification
                    Your theme has been successfully created
                    in /home/rog/.kde/share/apps/kthememanager/themes/My Theme.kth.
                    Move My Theme.kth and My Theme-folder to the new...

/1/
                    FAQ: Control Centre vs. System Settings
                    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091157.0
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                    X