Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] How do I roll back a proprietary driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] How do I roll back a proprietary driver?

I'm finding myself pretty close to throwing my computer out the window here, or doing the next best thing (ie going back to windows ).

Despite running kubuntu for the better part of six months (currently running gutsy), I have yet to manage to get the proprietary driver for my ATI card working right. It's been simplest for me to not use the proprietary driver at all, unfortunately that prevents me from getting the most out of my graphics card. Up until tonight, every time I enabled the driver, I could still use my computer, albeit with a really distorted resolution (and this is despite following the how-to in the wiki). I would always revert back right away.

Like an idiot, I decided to give it another go tonight. After enabling the driver, it downloaded and installed as per usual. Upon reboot, I was greeted only with the initial kubuntu splash screen (on the black background in the default settings) followed only by a blank screen. No matter how long I've waited, there's been no changes. My peripherals are all getting power, only I have no screen. I tried the ALT-F1 and CTRL-ALT-F1 workarounds without any luck.

I don't really want to do a fresh install since there's some important data on there that I failed to backup before messing about here like an idiot. I've run a couple of searches through the forums to avoid having to post this, but without being entirely sure what I'm looking for as a solution, I didn't exactly find much in the way of help. So what the hell do I do?

Re: How do I roll back a proprietary driver?

A bit more info:

After enabling the driver, it downloaded and installed as per usual.
    "installed as per usual" ? Did you :

by using AMD installer ?

by using Ubuntu Gutsy Installation Guide
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
    - you make .deb packages and install those.

something else ?

I tried the ALT-F1 and CTRL-ALT-F1 workarounds without any luck.
    You don't get text log in screen when you press "CTRL-ALT-F1" ?
    How about with "Recovery mode" ?

I don't really want to do a fresh install
    Do you have single Kubuntu partition system or installation with separate /home ?

there's some important data on there that I failed to backup before
    You could start with live CD and rescue your data.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      A bit more info:

After enabling the driver, it downloaded and installed as per usual.
      "installed as per usual" ? Did you :

by using AMD installer ?

by using Ubuntu Gutsy Installation Guide
      http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
      - you make .deb packages and install those.

something else ?
      K Menu > System Settings > Advanced > Restricted Drivers > then once in Admin mode, ticked the box next to 'ATI accelerated graphics driver. It then asked me to reboot. Of course, I did and here I am now.

I tried the ALT-F1 and CTRL-ALT-F1 workarounds without any luck.
      You don't get text log in screen when you press "CTRL-ALT-F1" ?
      How about with "Recovery mode" ?
      Nope. The only visual I get is the kubuntu name and logo centered on a black background with a blue progress bar underneath it. Once that loads, I got nothin'.

I don't really want to do a fresh install
      Do you have single Kubuntu partition system or installation with separate /home ?
      A single partition. You don't think I'd do something smart like having a separate /home partition?

there's some important data on there that I failed to backup before
      You could start with live CD and rescue your data.
      I'm using a live CD now in order to post this. When I try to mount my drive, I'm given the following error:
      Code:
      hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 999
      I've found this thread to work around that problem though. We'll see sort of success that engenders.
      ETA: that solution gained me access to the drive, but now I'm faced with a locked Desktop folder (which, conveniently, is the one with my stuff in it) that I can't get into.

Comment

Is there a reason not to use Envy to install the ATI driver?

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You want to download the file "envy_0.9.10-0ubuntu2_all.deb" which is the link at the lower right of the table of OS versions. Install that, and then use Envy to install the right ATI driver for your card.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You want to download the file "envy_0.9.10-0ubuntu2_all.deb" which is the link at the lower right of the table of OS versions. Install that, and then use Envy to install the right ATI driver for your card.

And I should be able to do this without first having to go back? I mean, I can load kubuntu in recovery mode through the GRUB menu. Provided that I have Envy downloaded onto an accessible spot on my drive or a flash drive or something, I presume I should be able to install it in recovery mode without too much of a fuss?

Comment

K Menu > System Settings > Advanced > Restricted Drivers > then once in Admin mode, ticked the box next to 'ATI accelerated graphics driver. It then asked me to reboot. Of course, I did and here I am now.
            Hmm - that shoud only install repo version of fglrx drivers (and modify xorg.conf).

Installing AMD Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx) in the Gutsy
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086973.0

BUT
            Nope. The only visual I get is the kubuntu name and logo centered on a black background with a blue progress bar underneath it. Once that loads, I got nothin'.
            something went badly wrong

I'm using a live CD now in order to post this. When I try to mount my drive, I'm given the following error:
            When you do normal start: Press Ctrl+Alt+F8, is there same error ?

This doesn't help but:
            At the moment AMD (Ati) drivers are so expermental (crappy) that it is good to check Installation Notes before you install. There could be "Known Issues" like:

Connecting a display device that supports 1680x1050 to a system running Linux may result in a maximum display resolution of 1280x1024 only being available
            The Xserver freezes on shutdown if atieventsd is running.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
              Hmm - that shoud only install repo version of fglrx drivers (and modify xorg.conf).

Installing AMD Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx) in the Gutsy
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086973.0

BUT
              something went badly wrong
              Tell me about it. I know enough about linux to muck things up, but not quite enough (yet) to fix them when I do. Learning through trial and error seems to be the order of the day.
              When you do normal start: Press Ctrl+Alt+F8, is there same error ?
              That error only appeared when I tried to access my hard disc while using the live CD. I have since managed to get write access to the drive, thus bypassing this particular issue altogether.

As far as what happens when I boot from my HD, once I hit the blank screen, any and all combinations of CTRL, ALT, and F1 through F12 all equally do nothing (that I can see).

Comment

Maybe these help (hoping for the best...)

The Error message or hint what hangs/freezes

Removing splash

From BootOptions
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
                For Installed Systems That Need Adjustment

As the machine starts to boot you get a Grub message, at this time press the ESC key. This drops you to a text menu. Choose the boot option you want to work with. Navigate using the the up and down arrow keys. (Cursor key.)

When you have selected the menu item press 'e'.

Then you will be presented with a "root" line on the first line. You must then move to the "kernel" line one down from there with the down arrow. then again you press 'e'.
                There is something like this:
                kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=75bb010f-19d2-42e5-a136-15711d8fa4a6 ro quiet splash
                Remove splash and quiet texts and

Press the enter key when you are done with the changes, and finally press 'b' to boot.

Can you see any error messages or what is the last executed command ?

The Usual Suspects (just fishing )

With live CD:

Unmounted partition !

Partition status / disk check (hdx ? sdx ? using sda1 as example)
                Code:
                sudo fsck -v -f /dev/sda1
                man fsck, man e2fsck
                e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3 file system
                -v Verbose mode
                -f Force checking even if the file system seems clean.

Mounted partiton

File system disk space usage (disk full ?)

Mount your partition and

Code:
                df -h -T /dev/sda1
                -h, --human-readable
                print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G)

-T, --print-type
                print file system type

Maybe logs tell something: LinuxLogFiles
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles

Links:

BootOptions
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

FAQ: Free Disk Space
                http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086353.0

LinuxLogFiles
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxLogFiles

Comment

Thanks for all your help, Rog131!

As for your last post, I haven't needed to try any of that as I sorted things out late last night. The solution:
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                  This hadn't been working previously because, like an idiot, I had been typing it as:
                  Code:
                  sudo [b]dpkg -reconfigure[/b] xserver-xorg
                  (bold added) That extra space in the middle was preventing me from actually solving the problem. Once I got past that hurdle, I booted into recovery mode and ran that code as root. It reverted to the previous good xorg configuration, which then allowed me to login properly without any issues. I then tempted fate and installed Envy and that went perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                  X