Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's been fun....But now it's time to get serious!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been fun....But now it's time to get serious!

I have been playing with Linux (multiple distros but like Kubuntu the BEST) for about 3 months and now I need to get serious about using Linux in my everyday life. What I am looking for is feedback about the switch to Linux from Windows.

Specifically with regards to office (open vs M$) and some of the graphic programs such as Photoshop CS, Dreamweaver, Illustrator. Unfortunately the "business" world, my work included, functions on M$ office and I know (or think I know) that the bugs aren't worked out with Wine yet to make it run. The graphic programs are a hobby and I enjoy using Adobe products but my wife teaches the programs.

Does Wine really work with the graphic programs? I know nothing is flawless but is it reliable. Currently I am testing (playing) with Linux on my laptop to see if I want to make the switch on my desk top. My wife teaches the graphic arts programs so it is IMPERATIVE that those programs work and work as well as they do in Windows. ****Please save the "Linux has programs such as Gimp that work as well as Photoshop" response.***** While that may be true, my wife doesn't teach Gimp or any other program in Linux so that is not an option.

I'm almost sold on OpenOffice and still need to play with that more. I am having issues with the conversions and I am still working out. It would be nice to have M$ office work in Wine but I am not holding my breath, M$ is too greedy.

So I put it out to you my Linux support group, do I keep the dual boot? Do I just run Linux on my laptop and access Windows only when I absolutely need it? My wife doesn't really care, she just doesn't want to loose her current files and wants as little disruption to her daily life as possible? I really want to put Linux on my desktop computer. It is not a great system but I have managed not to buy a new computer in about 7 years. Upgrade is the key for me but I am at my limit.

I have an Asus Mobo with Athon 2800+ 2.0 Ghz processor, 3 gb ram, 256 Nvida FX5500 video card with DVI output, 2-19" Acer monitors. I miss my desktop so any advice or input would be helpful.

Cheers!!
    Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop, Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz, 1g ram, ATI Video,

Re: It's been fun....But now it's time to get serious!

Can't comment on Photoshop, etc in Wine, but I used OpenOffice for a year or so in Win and now in Linux.
    1. There's no perfect and absolute interoperability, not even close.
    2. But unless your business thrives on password-protected, macro-enhanced database-driven documents whose design must be preserved down to last .1 mm you probably won't notice. (but check out spreadsheets you'll be commonly using, also if your business uses document(content) management systems (Livelink, etc.) ask if it depends on MsOffice specific things like ActiveX, - some do.)
    3. You didn't ask, but also pay attention to how your colleagues use Outlook, - it's a pain to dechipher Outlook-generated attachments, like appointments, etc. in Thunderbird sometimes.

Comment

The only Windows app that I really, really need would not work right on wine. So I've gotten used to running the free VMWare Player 2.02, with a Win XP virtual machine. I'm pretty confident that any and all apps that run on a native Win XP installation will run on a VMWare Player, with the exception of things that have to interface directly with the hardware layer, such as the little utilities like cpu-z and memtest86 and pc wizard and things like that.

Also, bear in mind that the video in a virtual machine is "virtual" -- it's not the real driver running it but a translator. So, for nitty-gritty graphics work, I'd stick with gimp in Linux. But your Adobe stuff will work OK on a virtual machine, and all the MS Office apps as well.

Two cents' worth.

Comment

Another option for using a virtual machine is Virtualbox. I personally like it better then the VMware player.
        It has alot of useful features including seamless window integration.

Comment

This might give some clarity in wine + Photoshop
          http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=17

Can't test it though. I use Gimp
          Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Originally posted by slush1000
            Another option for using a virtual machine is Virtualbox. I personally like it better then the VMware player.
            It has alot of useful features including seamless window integration.
            I agree.
            txWingMan

Comment

Working...
            X